Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Cover Letters
 MALAKYE.COM:: DISCUSSION FORUMS : Job Search Specific : Cover Letters
Message Icon Topic: Please critique this cover letter Post Reply Post New Topic
bioject
Forums Member
Forums Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote bioject Replybullet Topic: Please critique this cover letter
    Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 2:40pm
This Cover Letter was meant to be a response to an email I received from Outdoor Research saying that they weren't hiring anybody outside of Washington.  Why do companies deny out-of-state applicants even if they are willing to move on their own dime?  Anyway could someone please critique this cover letter.  I'm curious to know what its weaknesses and strengths are.  Thanks.

Dear Recruiter:

I recently applied for the Materials Buyer position at Outdoor Research, Inc., and wanted to express my continued interest for the Inventory Planner position that I applied for last month.  It was brought to my attention that recruiters are not looking for candidates outside the state of Washington.  Despite this news I am still very interested in the position and ask you to reconsider as I would happily relocate if offered the job.

I earned my Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a focus in Systems and Operations Management; a discipline in manufacturing principles which taught the fundamentals of six sigma, ERP, and Just in Time (JIT) inventories.  In addition to my education, I have ERP experience as a Repair and Overhaul Material Planner at Woodward HRT, providing valuable skills in communication, problem solving, and time management.  I also have seven years experience in shipping at UPS as a supervisor where I learned to lead and motivate people and advocate process improvements.

The Inventory Planner position describes a qualified candidate as one who can maintain critical partnerships with a variety of departments.  As the sole leader of repair and overhaul, the position demanded flexibility and the ability to multitask between daily duties and maintaining strong communication with different departments such as sales, program managers, supervisors, engineers, suppliers, and customers.  This valuable experience will allow me to work in concert with your organization since I am already comfortable working with internal and external customers.

As a member of your team, I can ensure on-time production, shipment and arrival of finished goods by quickly adapting to your custom ERP setup and following procedures and guidelines accurately.  As a proactive process improvement advocate, I will go beyond the scope of the program and procedures looking for more efficient and superior ways of performing tasks to save time and money.

Having rock climbed, hiked, and canyoneered for years, my personal interest in the outdoors and its sustainability will greatly contribute towards the inventory planner position by having a personal interest in the products that Outdoor Research, Inc. makes.  Please consider me for the inventory planner position where my experience in production and shipping will contribute towards the outdoor adventure.

Sincerely,

Conrad Wentzel

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version