Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Knocking Down the Door
 MALAKYE.COM:: DISCUSSION FORUMS : Job Search Specific : Knocking Down the Door
Message Icon Topic: Advice From An Insider Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
punkrocker
Forums Member
Forums Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote punkrocker Replybullet Topic: Advice From An Insider
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 4:18pm

I've been an in house recruiter in the ASI for a number of  years and have hired a large number of people, some of them through Malakye. I read the forums here and see a lot of your are frustrated with not being able to land a job in the industry. I often read that you need to know someone in the industry... not true. You need to be the best at what you do in order to land a job in the industry. You also need to be applying to a job that you have experience/success in.

Thus... I will answer your questions on what it takes to get hired in the ASi and evaluate your resumes and portfolios if you wish. I will be blunt and some of you may not like my responses, but having hired close to 500 employees, I think I know what I'm doing.

Who's up first?
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value"

IP IP Logged
ryanlitus
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote ryanlitus Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 7:15pm
my question for you is... how would I go about tailoring my resume to the ASI when my work experience is only as a assistant golf professional for the last 6 years at few different courses? Also I have a bachelors degree in marketing. I ask because I have been snowboarding for over 15 years and know the ins and outs of snowboarding but have no official experience. A job in the snowboard industry would be an absolute dream come true and for once I would enjoy what I was doing!

Regards,

Ryan
IP IP Logged
Hal9000
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote Hal9000 Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 7:18pm
Could you PM me your email, so I can send my resume to you? Thanks in advance
IP IP Logged
punkrocker
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote punkrocker Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:17pm
So you have a bachelors degree in marketing. Do you have any marketing experience? This should be what sells you on your resume. I'm not familiar with what an assistant golf professional does, but it sounds removed from what you went to school for. What job do you want to apply for in the snowboarding industry; marketing, sales, design, etc? I suggest you read the job descriptions for the roles you're interested in and see how your experience translates to thier expectations in the job description. If you truely have no experience, you may want to consider working in a board shop as the first step. Remember when the industy is hiring, they need someone who come and hit the ground running. There is little if any time for training.

IP IP Logged
ryanlitus
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote ryanlitus Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:10pm
Yes I do have marketing experience... and as for the assistant pro thing, my major was marketing with an emphasis in PGA Golf Management. As for marketing experience I have a lot when it comes to promoting events, tournaments, lessons, and even being responsible for ordering and displaying merchandise. My problem is that if I were to apply for a marketing or merchandising job in which I feel I am qualified, someone hiring may look at my merchandising and marketing experience as non relative due to the fact it is in a much different industry. I don't know how to relate my 20+ years of experience on snow and my experience in order to grab someone's attention! You also mentioned working at a shop... I have tried getting a job at a local shop for about 10 years now and none ever seem to have openings. Should I volenteer my time? Should I make a video so they now I can ride? Im not interested in being sponsored... I just want to make the industry better!
IP IP Logged
ryanlitus
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote ryanlitus Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:25pm
You mentioned you do hiring yourself and have no idea what an assistant pro does. A golf shop and skate shop relate so closely because they both deal with retail and sales. I would like to know how I can show the similarity between the two? I feel pigeon holed and any help is very appreciated!!
IP IP Logged
jessical99
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote jessical99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 1:27pm
Hi Punkrocker,

I just PMed you with my resume and portfolio.  Thank you again for taking the time to help job seekers like myself.

Best Regards,
JL
IP IP Logged
603ShredGuy
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote 603ShredGuy Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2012 at 12:35pm

I am looking to get a sales job in the ASI more specifically in the snowboard industry. I have 8 years of sales experience with 4 of them being in field sales. I have my own VERY small and new clothing company so I have knowledge of the retail industry. I'm trying to get into sales (preferably outside) in the snowboard industry but most of my sales career has been in the software market. Snowboarding is my life and I closely follow the industry and the business side of it too. I'm hoping you can give me some suggestions as to the best way to get my foot in the door. I have been a top producer at every company I have sold for so I know I can be successful here too. I just need to get in the door. Please let me know what you might recommend. Thanks!

Chris Adams
IP IP Logged
punkrocker
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote punkrocker Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:20pm

LESSON 1: When you apply via Malakye there is a section called Brief Profile that allows you to say something about yourself. When I search the Malakye database that is one of the key pieces I look at and I'm only looking for a max of 5 seconds. Make that brief profile eye catching. I don't need to know you skate, surf or whatever... I want to know what you can do. If I don't see it in the Brief Profile, I'm probably not going to open your resume.

Edited by punkrocker - 09 Jul 2012 at 2:20pm

IP IP Logged
chopstix
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote chopstix Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 3:52pm
I only recently heard about Malakye, and since I've been wanting a job in the ASI for about five billion years, I'm using all of my spare time and all of my resources to rebrand and taylor my resume, website and portfolio to be the best it can be and relevant to the type of job I want. (I'm looking to get something in design, graphics, apparel design or illustration for snowboarding or mountain biking companies)...

I've been a designer for ten years or so in the usual corporate ad firm environment, and it's not for me- though it's given me all the experience I need in probably every aspect of the industry. And art, well, I've done that since before I could talk. When I redo the resume and cover letter for these companies, should I elaborate on ALL experience, or if I say I've done ad firms for that long, would it be assumed I'd have already done prepress, typography, editorial, branding and all that?

And I think my main hurdle is going to be that I'm Canadian... and the jobs are mostly American. I've lived in the USA for a few years (Seattle), and I know from travelling there constantly that I want to move there for sure... so would a company be hard pressed to sponsor someone that's already planning on coming down? What's your thoughts on that procedure? Would you hire a Canadian if they were fit for the job and lived and breathed design/snowboarding? ... say, if you were a Burton employee that was hiring, for example?

CHOPSTIX - illustration and design
www.allisonchoppick.carbonmade.com
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version