Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Product Development
 MALAKYE.COM:: DISCUSSION FORUMS : In Your Profession : Product Development
Message Icon Topic: Action Sport Industry worth it? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
tpjc
Forums Member
Forums Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote tpjc Replybullet Topic: Action Sport Industry worth it?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2007 at 7:23am

Hi all- wanted opinion. Do you guys think the action sport industry is worth the time?...does it make good money and is it a good career path? Thank you in advance!

IP IP Logged
nitsch
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote nitsch Replybullet Posted: 28 Oct 2007 at 12:19pm
If it wasn't worth it, we wouldn't be here on malakye and talking about action sports.  It doesn't rake in the big corporate bucks, but that's the trade off for living the lifestyle.  Check out some of the other posts around here - salaries and getting your foot in the door are big hits.  
peace, love and pow

steph
IP IP Logged
dolcevita
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote dolcevita Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 2:02pm
What you really need to be asking yourself is if its worth it for YOU. Do you love this industry, is it what you are passionate about? What kind of lifestyle do you want to live? Are you willing to bust your butt to get what you want? What do you want in the big picture? These are some questions everyone should ask themselves...whats right for one person isnt right for another. Work is a big part of your life, so you better wake up in the morning loving what you do. Obviously we cant all have the job we want from the get-go...u gotta start somewhere. But getting on the path to where u want to go is important. And remember..how often have you heard people say...'if i only had that house'...'if i only had that job'...'if i only had that _____' THEN I'LL BE HAPPY. Theres always something. Be happy now b/c this moment is your life. If this industry is what you love then it wont matter if your the one selling the surfboards or if your the one that owns the surfboard company. If you love what you do theres a MUCH greater chance at getting to the top. However, keep in mind... the money, prestige, lime-light shouldnt be what drives you.
Anyway hope that gives u a different perspective...I've been struggling with this issue and recently found clarity. Good luck!
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."
IP IP Logged
union_surf
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote union_surf Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 8:33pm
Key thing to remember that to you the term "lifestyle" is worth one thing.  And to another person, it could mean something else.

Hate to say it, but for a majority of the entry level jobs out there it comes down to who places the LEAST value on the lifestyle.  You can get some cats in there with trust funds, living in the parents garage, living off another income....it doesn't matter. 

Point is they will always be there telling everyone who they work for but not telling them how cheap they are selling themselves.  Find a niche in design, production even sales and sooner or later you'll need to either move UP or get the heck out because there is some poor soul coming in who wants to work for free.

I'm not saying there isn't money in action sports, just that you need to be one of the select few who are chosen.  Bright ideas, motivated, innovative thinking, and probably more luck than common sense.

Thats just the way it is.  8 years in the industry tells me this.
IP IP Logged
necromancing
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote necromancing Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 10:23pm
I suppose I've already worn out my welcome here. However, inspite of my ignorance...I do have minor ties to the industry through my wife who is a physical therapist and works on many well known surfers, vollyball players, dirt bike riders, snowboarders, etc. who have sustained injuries through their love of the sport.

I for one am very interested and excited by the ASI industry, but alas I don't have the 'bleed for it' passion to work 60-70 hours a week making $12.00 an hour to start. I'm actually a school teacher (we make pretty good money if you can handle kids and having a three month vacation every year Wink) but my degree is in design and I thought I'd give ASI 'a shot' since I personally know some atheltes in the sport who like my work.

Let me tell you...not even that will cut it my friend. You have to be in DEEP. You need strong, hardcore connections to get into ASI (you could be a sh*tty designer IMO and still your 'bro' will hook you up despite what people say to the contrary). If you're not willing to give hand jobs (I'm not) and are just a 'fan' of the industry and these type of sports and don't participate in the sports yourself... then don't bother. You need to know the password, secret handshake and have the tattoo or you're not getting in. Did you look at the Northwave crew BBQ pictures posted on the main page here? Do you think they want us, or give two sh*ts about you and me? No, they most certainly don't

Edited by necromancing - 29 Oct 2007 at 11:37pm
IP IP Logged
tpjc
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote tpjc Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 9:26am

thanks for all input. but my question is not whether or not its hard to get in the industry but rather once u r in does it lead to somewhere.  Can you make a good living being in this industry?...basically the salary...and its growth

IP IP Logged
Niram
FORUM RULER
FORUM RULER

Quote Niram Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 11:44am
Yes you can make a living in this industry, There is growth with experience as with any industry.
MALAKYE WORKS!!!
IP IP Logged
iDIYa
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote iDIYa Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 2:18pm
Work is work. I can' say the money is better or worse, depends on the position. However, you'll probably never wear a suit and tie. That's gotta be worth something...right? :)
Working out the kinks
IP IP Logged
5691gerg
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote 5691gerg Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 3:00pm
My experience is that there are literally tons of potential employees for entry level positions at action sports companies.  There certainly is a large supply of passionate action sports enthusiasts who want to 'break into the buisness' right here on Malakye...

So, since it's easier to refill the entry level position, some companies offer lower than average pay for entry level jobs.  If you hang in there and prove your value to the company then you will move up.  

I think a key to help you move up is keeping track of all you do to add value to the company so that when you have the chance to go for a new position or raise or have an official review you are prepared to prove your worth. 

There's certainly info on keeping track of your achievements on job/career websites and it is worth some time to look into it.  My two cents... 
Go Ride! 5691gerg.com
IP IP Logged
Lauren
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote Lauren Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2007 at 7:09am
wait....
did you just ask an action sports forum of voluntary and interested action sports enthusiasts and "employees" if it was worth it?  Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a biased opinion.  You won't get an impartial view, but if you're looking for reassurance this is the best place to get it.
but hey, is it worth it for you?
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version