Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Marketing
 MALAKYE.COM:: DISCUSSION FORUMS : In Your Profession : Marketing
Message Icon Topic: How did Grenade do it? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
lovedamotu
Forums Member
Forums Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote lovedamotu Replybullet Topic: How did Grenade do it?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 1:39pm
Remember how Grenade got so big so fast?? How did they do it? Did they have backing right out of the gate or did they just rely on Guerilla marketing tactics?
IP IP Logged
mindstyle
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote mindstyle Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 1:44pm
It didn't hurt that one of the biggest names (Danny Kass) in snowboarding was a founder and promoted the hell out of the product.
IP IP Logged
lovedamotu
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote lovedamotu Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 1:45pm
Thats true, but there has to be more to it than just having Danny rep your gear.
IP IP Logged
DudeBroMan
FORUM RULER
FORUM RULER

Quote DudeBroMan Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 4:37pm
It took them quite a few years to get big. I think it started back in 2002/2003 (maybe 04). It has been 5-6 years. It all started as guerilla marketing, but it was the right timing. 2001-2005 was an epic time in Mammoth when all the grenerds moved to town. Every pro in the world was in Mammoth for at least a while. It was the mecca of snowboarding and grenade was all over that town. Stencils, stickers, t-shirts, and gloves were all they started with, but it was everyeher. Every kid that could rip got free stuff. I think it was just good timing. Mammoth ain't quite what it used to be, partially because of corporate greed (everything in Mammoth is way more expensive now that intrawest is in the pictiure), but when grenade started it was huge in that town and it spread from there. They didn't really know what they were doing, it was a bunch of stoner kids with connections in the industry, thats all.
IP IP Logged
steezer
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote steezer Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2008 at 4:48pm

Now if they can only get there sh*t together before the retailers have had enuff,  they are so unorganized, the product sucks and falls apart, zero customer service, can't ship on time, the only thing that is saving them right now is the product sells and the dealers are putting up with it,  but for how long?  If they don't get there sh*t together soon, dealers will eventually just stop buying, and that will be that,  and will fall as quick as it rose. 

IP IP Logged
DudeBroMan
FORUM RULER
FORUM RULER

Quote DudeBroMan Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 1:20pm
good point, they should hire me to run their business, I'll get them on track
IP IP Logged
steezer
CONTRIBUTOR
CONTRIBUTOR

Quote steezer Replybullet Posted: 05 Mar 2008 at 1:48pm
They supposedly hired some dude with some real business experience to help get them on track, we'll see.   There is a interview with Danny Kass in the new Trans bizz that talks about it.
IP IP Logged
DoubleB_SD
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote DoubleB_SD Replybullet Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 3:37pm
Easy entry with it being a pro-built brand (Kass).  True test will be how long it survives.  It doesn't need to be the number one glove to be successful, but in 10 years when Danny has moved onto Peter Line status, will people still be buying their gloves and jackets?
-bb
http://bbpr.wordpress.com/
IP IP Logged
Broverdose
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote Broverdose Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 11:56am
So if Danny Kass being a pro repin' his own gear was an obvious indicator of success, what other guerilla marketing did they do other than spreading t's, stickers, and spray paint all over the place?
IP IP Logged
DoubleB_SD
Forums Member
Forums Member

Quote DoubleB_SD Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 12:04pm
Without knowing those guys personally, I'd say that was pretty much it.  That is guerilla marketing.

While the surf/skate/music/whatever guys have been doing it on their own since the beginning, corporate America has just been catching on to guerilla and word-of-mouth marketing.  Guys like A.D.D. in LA have been helping everyone from P&G to Premiere Snowskates with their outreach.

No, I don't work for A.D.D., but I am friendly with the team there.
-bb
http://bbpr.wordpress.com/
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version