Vans: Be a Part of the Original
It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
1. We are determined.
2. We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
3. We are inclusive.
4. We are expressive and fun.
5. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, one of the worlds largest apparel and footwear companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individuals pursuit of growth to achieve future goals driven by our brand purpose.
Our purpose to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture is fostered through inclusivity. We welcome anyone and everyone into our global family and proudly celebrate an environment where individuality is embraced, equal opportunities thrive, and everyone is empowered to reach their greatest potential.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Divisional Merchandising Director - DMM: Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
With over 500 retail locations -and counting- in our North America (NORA) region, our Director of Divisional Merchandise is an important and highly strategic key player within our leadership team. As our NORA region consists of three countries with varying climates and product trends, you will be challenged with navigating through numerous complexities that rely on your expertise. The product strategies you and your team create will directly impact consumers by showcasing and expressing our authentic youth culture through product assortment and selection. As the DMM, you will continually seek new and innovative ways to drive sales and implement assortment strategies to move the needle on merchandise productivity and profitability for our full price and outlet stores. You will set trends in the youth culture demographic and anticipate changes in the marketplace. As a respected Director in our Direct to Consumer business, not only will you develop and inspire a team of seasoned and successful Assistant/Associate/Buyers, you will also create meaningful relationships with the product and retail operations teams for product direction. Your hard work will be rewarded with increase in revenues, product expansions and many happy customers.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. You will create and oversee a detailed Apparel Merchandise productivity plan that increases revenue in your product category, including but not limited to: Direct Open to Buys, Assortment Plans, Markdown Plans, Margin Plans and Turn Goals with the goal of revenue expansion.
2. Manages Apparel inventory to ensure maximum return on investment, while also being accountable for overall inventory levels, margins, turns, and sales promotions. This way, our merchandise strategy will lead to great outcomes, such as increased profitability.
3. Develops first-rate strategies to maximize return from outlets by maximizing liquidation of excess product and developing complimentary product programs.
4. Coordinates and manages retail logistics by developing strategies aimed towards success in retail and managing strong relationships with corporate partners.
5. Directs development of promotional strategies and integrates with Marketing, Visual, and Field Leadership to ensure effective execution.
6. Integrates with Product Team to best maximize brand positioning and category definition.
7. Supervises, mentors and develops buying staff in order to drive their business, meanwhile managing interaction with product category leadership.
8. Partners with Visual Merchandising Manager to boost brand positioning at the store level and coordinate effective store floor sets.
9. Negotiates and completes deals with outside vendors as needed in order to maximize opportunities
10. Your diverse experiences and background enable you to provide a unique perspective to fuel our global growth. Additionally, you are inclusive and value differing points of view. You hire, develop and support a team that reflects our global consumer population.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Prodfessional Experience: 10+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
⏵ A Bachelors degree in Business or related field and a minimum of 5 years general management experience in the Retail Merchandising field or an equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
⏵ Experience working in a multi-store environment, specialty and vertical experience required
⏵ Working knowledge of Retail Inventory Management systems and Distribution and Logistics strategies
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
⏵ Travel by air and overnight, as required 20% amount of time.
⏵ Lifting and/or bending 10 pounds amount of weight.