Vans: Be a Part of the Original
It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
1. We are determined.
2. We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
3. We are inclusive.
4. We are expressive and fun.
5. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, one of the worlds largest apparel and footwear companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individuals pursuit of growth to achieve future goals driven by our brand purpose.
Our purpose to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture is fostered through inclusivity. We welcome anyone and everyone into our global family and proudly celebrate an environment where individuality is embraced, equal opportunities thrive, and everyone is empowered to reach their greatest potential.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Senior Front End Web Developer: Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
Our purpose is to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture- by celebrating and encouraging the Off the Wall Attitude that comes from expressing your true self through our four pillars: music, art, street culture, and action sports. As a Sr. Front End Web Developer, you are responsible for creating and leading the team that build experiences for our Vans websites. To do so, you will collaborate with a team of creatives and developers to define and implement exciting and dynamic functionality to our sites that are based on the latest web technologies. This position requires hands-on development of web apps and information architecture. You will lead and inspire the Vans development team and keep exploring and implementing the latest and greatest in digital. If this role is exactly what you are looking for, then bring your ambitions and talents here, where you will be immersed into the action sports youth culture movement.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. Manage a team of front-end developers. Creates standards and protocols for best practices in front end development.
2. Your diverse experiences and background enable you to provide a unique perspective to fuel our global growth. Additionally, you are inclusive and value differing points of view. You hire, develop and support a team that reflects our global consumer population.
4. Push the boundaries of what is possible on the web by vetting and deploying projects with new and emerging web technologies.
5. Responsible for the architecture and implementation of robust client-side solutions involving custom AngularJS, JSON, AJAX, REST. Responsible for performing QA on all sites and making sure they perform on all devices and degrade gracefully in older browsers.
6. Establish and implement best practices and standards for all web presentation layer development to create a best in class user experience.
7. Act as a mentor that can help teach and inspire the development team.
8. Work with internal and external teams to work through bugs/issues, collaboration, and ideation.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 5+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
• Bachelors Degree in related field (computer science, software development, information architecture, etc.) or equivalent from a four-year college and/or 5+ years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Practical knowledge of web development and optimization techniques for fast page load times
• Expert knowledge of Vue.JS, AngularJS, or React
• Strong knowledge with SASS, Typescript, task running software (Grunt, Gulp, Webpack, etc), css-grid and Flexbox, PUG, Greensock, and PHP
• Strong knowledge of the DOM and manipulating elements, not just with jQuery or built-in JS methods, but with advanced scripts when necessary.
• Ability to debug with tools like Chrome Dev tools and write tests as needed.
• Should be able to perform backend duties such as server setup (Linux, Ubuntu, Nginx), API creation (Node.JS or PHP), database creation and management (SQL, PHPMyAdmin, or other GUIs).
• Ability to understand, assess & problem solve by leveraging technical and analytical skills.
• Always learning and keeping up with latest trends to implement new techniques or technology.
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
• Travel required approximately 5-10%
• Willing and able to work additional hours when needed
• Bend, lift, open and move product and related office items varying in weight from 1 to 25lbs, depending on need