Vans: Be a Part of the Original
It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
1. We are determined.
2. We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
3. We are inclusive.
4. We are expressive and fun.
5. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, the worlds largest apparel and footwear company, comprised of more than 25 brands. We are leaders in global footwear, apparel and accessories, available in more than 170 countries worldwide. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individuals pursuit of growth to achieve future goals. In order to prioritize career growth within our company, Vans offers courses on topics such as leadership, communication, collaboration and technical skills to ensure our employees are self-motivated and fulfilled with our rapidly growing business.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Sr. Director, Merchandising: Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
As the Sr. Director of Merchandising for Mens & Active, you will manage the global seasonal design and development calendar. You will demonstrate your visionary ability to keep the brand moving forward by providing information and ideas to the development of key concepts and items as well as store assortments which are commercially viable and provide an exciting customer experience. You will be responsible for identifying product categories where smart risks can be taken and protect basic businesses to meet financial targets. Your passion, experience, product knowledge and skills will support and leverage the company's continual quest to innovate and elevate.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. Provide analysis input to support the development of department seasonal strategies and prioritize tasks to support Divisional strategies and meet financial targets.
2. Recommend pricing strategies for specific product categories.
3. Partner with Marketing, Regional Merchandisers, and Planning to ensure alignment on category strategies and priorities.
4. Partner with Design and Development team to source and develop new fabrications
5. Manage Merchandising team to ensure the following duties are complete:
• Submit and track all developments from sketch to protos to final production
• Oversee the fitting of garments and review product details to ensure product execution meets the design aesthetic as well as commercially acceptable quality standards.
• Identify business opportunities and risks in-season through analyzing sales performance and gathering marketplace information.
6. Partner with employees to provide them with the appropriate tools resources and training for their development.
7. Demonstrate strong teamwork skills through cooperating with cross-functional team members and remaining focused.
8. Support an open and inclusive environment that recognizes employees based on the strength of their efforts.
9. Protect business needs by building on proven classifications, taking smart risk on new opportunities and create replacement strategies on exiting businesses.
10. Actively research and observe the competition on a Design, pricing and marketing standpoint to keep the brand ahead of its competitors.
11. Share his/her vision clearly and can be implemented
12. Demonstrate a high level of flexibility towards product, business, and people requirement
13. Partner with VP and Finance to develop yearly budgets and manage expenses monthly.
14. Responsible for presentation of department strategies at line reviews and GMA meetings
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 10+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
• College/Bachelors Degree in Fashion/Apparel.
• Possess a strong point of view.
• Excellent leadership/management skills.
• Excellent presentation, listening, verbal, and written communication skills
• Excellent sense of style and color
• Formulate short term tactical plans that are cost-effective, efficient, realistic and support strategies
• Demonstrate knowledge of the target customer and of product trends; customer-oriented
• Possess a clear understanding of financial measurements and how to impact them.
• Defend and effectively sell a point of view to both peers and upper management.
• Analyze a problem skillfully, formulate a logical rationale for the decision and take action.
• Demonstrate the willingness to take smart risks
• Maintain a cooperative team environment that promotes high performance standards and attainment of goals.
• Possess basic knowledge of international production processes.
• Demonstrate the organizational ability to facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment.
• Possess computer literacy and facility with Microsoft Office and Excel
• Possess strong skill set in Power Point and Keynote
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally