Vans: Be a Part of the Original
It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
• We are determined.
• We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
• We are inclusive.
• We are expressive and fun.
• And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, one of the worlds largest apparel and footwear companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individuals pursuit of growth to achieve future goals driven by our brand purpose.
Our purpose to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture is fostered through inclusivity. We welcome anyone and everyone into our global family and proudly celebrate an environment where individuality is embraced, equal opportunities thrive, and everyone is empowered to reach their greatest potential.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Senior Director, Merchandising (eCommerce): Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
As the Senior Director, Merchandising (eCommerce), you are responsible for creating and leading the comprehensive buying and site merchandising strategies that align with our financial goals, inventory strategies and drive an increase of sales in our fastest-growing revenue stream. Your experience has prepared you to build partnerships with Regional and Global Merchandising teams to ensure the seasonal & global assortment meets the online customer and business needs. You thrive when focusing on improvements to overall merchandise productivity and profitability to best implement brand and product direction. Your keen understanding of our consumers ensures we are developing a frictionless site experience and maximizing opportunities to drive traffic and increase conversion. Additionally, you have experience successfully managing a large team and inspiring your direct reports to be the best versions of themselves, creating a supportive and collaborative team environment. You have connectivity to youth culture and are deeply immersed in our four pillars: music, street culture, action sports, and fashion.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. Deliver on our best-in-class product assortment, prioritizing brand storytelling which is focused on engaging with our online consumers and deepen their connectivity. You do this through creating and driving the best customer experience across our digital platforms (desktop, tablet, mobile), focusing on optimizing engagement and increasing conversion through Site Merchandising.
2. Develop and manage merchandise productivity plan (e.g., Direct Open To Buys, Assortment Plans, Margin Plans, and Turn Goals) and manage inventory to ensure maximum return on investment. Accountable for overall inventory levels, margins, turns, and sales promotions. You also partner with the Planning Director to financially plan sales, inventory, and turn, as well as create open-to-buy forecasts and re-forecast sales to meet department financial goals
3. Collaborate with marketing & product teams to best maximize brand positioning and category definition. Evaluate and maintain effective category groupings, sequencing, site search filtering and categorization strategies that facilitate efficient search, reinforce a positive brand experience, and support effective visual merchandising. Ensures new products are set-up on time and merchandised according to analytics, testing data, and relevant strategies.
4. Oversee the development of seasonal hindsight and the strategic opportunities used to inform Go-To-Market processes (GTM) partnering with Regional Merchandising, Brick and Mortar, and Regional Marketing teams to communicate the needs of the online consumer.
5. Partners with cross-functional teams (Marketing, Operations, IT) to create a compelling site, focusing on user experience, brand direction, converting sales, etc. Actively explore new opportunities and services for merchandising the site; tests and develops roll-out strategy for those deemed likely to meet sales and ROI goals.
6. You have budget responsibility for all site merchandising, photography, copy-writing, and other related expenses.
7. Responsible for image production and copy-writing processes. Lead copy and photo briefs for products.
8. Your diverse experiences and background enable you to provide a unique perspective to fuel our global growth. Additionally, you are inclusive and value differing points of view. You hire, develop and support a team that reflects our global consumer population.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 10+ years
Educational/ Position Requirements:
• A Bachelors degree in Business or related field and a minimum of 5 years general management experience in the Retail Merchandising field or an equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
• Experience working in the eCommerce industry
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
• Travel by air and overnight, as required 20% amount of time.
• Lifting and/or bending 10 pounds of weight.