Vans: Be a Part of the Original
It was never about waving the brand like a flag, it was always about the people Paul Van Doren
Vans is the original action sports footwear company, rooted in authenticity and creativity. Founded in 1966, Vans has thrived on a legacy of impacting our greater community through four pillars: action sports, music, art and street culture. We are constantly inspired by the expressive creators within our company and community as they bring new and innovative perspectives to help shape and transform the future of our business.
At Vans, our culture sets us apart and influences everything we do. We are driven by five values:
1. We are determined.
2. We are connected to our consumers and to each other.
3. We are inclusive.
4. We are expressive and fun.
5. And most of all, we are a family.
Vans is a subsidiary of VF, one of the worlds largest apparel and footwear companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. As we continue to expand, VF and Vans take great measures in developing and growing our people.
Vans is founded on a culture of learning. We take pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities by providing the resources and tools necessary to support each individuals pursuit of growth to achieve future goals driven by our brand purpose.
Our purpose to enable creative expression and inspire youth culture is fostered through inclusivity. We welcome anyone and everyone into our global family and proudly celebrate an environment where individuality is embraced, equal opportunities thrive, and everyone is empowered to reach their greatest potential.
By joining the Vans family, you will be immersed in an environment of incredibly supportive and collaborative people. We work very hard across a multitude of large initiatives to bring the Van Doren spirit to life. We live for what we do.
Senior Director of Buying- Retail Stores: Become the Newest Member of the Vans Family
As the Senior Director of Buying Retail Stores, you are responsible for creating and leading comprehensive buying, merchandising and marketing strategies that align with our brand objectives, financial goals and profitability targets. Your experience has prepared you to build partnerships with Regional and Global Merchandising teams to ensure the seasonal assortments deliver on brand priorities, meet business needs and exceed our Consumers expectations. As a strategic business leader, it is imperative that you develop and implement strategies to improve merchandise productivity and profitability while continually seeking ways to elevate brand image and drive sales. You actively partner with your eCommerce counterpart to optimize the brand experience across channels as well as work cross-functionally with your business partners in Planning and Allocation to manage inventory levels, productivity metrics, and logistics.
Additionally, you have experience managing a large team and inspiring your direct reports to be the best versions of themselves and create a supportive and collaborative team environment that ensures their development and professional success. You have connectivity to fashion and one or more of our four pillars: art, music, street culture and action sports.
How You Will Make a Difference:
1. Develop and manage Merchandise productivity plans (e.g. Direct Open To Buys, Assortment Plans, Markdown Plans, Margin Plans, Turn Goals, etc.).
2. Deliver on best in class product assortments that prioritize brand storytelling and drive sales
3. You oversee all Buying functions and closely monitor all retail merchandising performance, analyze results and make recommendations to maximize profitability through effective inventory management practices.
4. Manages inventory to ensure maximum return on investment. Accountable for overall inventory levels, margins, turns, and sales promotions.
5. Develop strategies to maximize return from Outlet Stores by maximizing liquidation of excess product and developing complementary product build plans.
6. You collaborate with Marketing & Product teams to best maximize brand positioning while upholding brand vision and execute against the overall Brand product and marketing strategies
7. Oversee the development of seasonal hindsight and the strategic opportunities used to inform the Go-To-Market processes (GTM).
8. Integrates with Visual Merchandising Manager to manage retail space use to best maximize brand positioning and category definition for all store formats.
9. Coordinates and manages retail logistics by developing strategies for retail and managing relationships with corporate partners.
10. Accountable for overall achievement of financial category/classification targets, inventory levels, margins, turns, and sales promotions to ensure maximum return on investment.
11. You lead, train and develop the Merchant team to the highest level of success and professional satisfaction.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 10+ years of related experience
Educational/ Position Requirements:
• A formal education and subsequent undergraduate/graduate degrees are nice to have, but we are most interested in your total experience and professional achievements.
• 5+ years of merchandise management in a high volume, multi-storeenvironment
• Vertical and/or Specialty experience is a plus with additional eCommerce experience is preferred
• Broad knowledge of branded footwear and apparel market (particularly in the action sports sector; superior product instincts)
• Ability to comprehend overall brand positioning and authentically translate into Vans retail environment
• Demonstrated ability to identify, attract and retain talent.Track record of success developing people with the proven ability to set goals and establish performance standards
• Able to multi-task in a fast-paced environmentand effectively plan, organize and manage time
• Outstanding interpersonal skills with an emphasis on building partnerships, managing conflict and negotiating
• Ability to initiate, understand and implement strategic directives
• Highly analytical with a strong ability to influence
• Excellent communication skills: Written, Verbal, Listening
• Ability to interact with company and corporate executives and communicate effectively business initiativesand merchandise performance
• Working knowledge of Retail Inventory Management systems and Distribution and Logistics strategies
• Computer proficiency including specific job-required applications
• Exhibits professionalism, honesty, integrity, courtesy and respect in all dealings with fellow employees,guests, vendors or others with whom the company conducts business
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
• Travel by air and overnight, as required 20% amount of time.
• Lifting and/or bending 10 pounds of weight.