We are seeking an experienced Senior Industrial Designer to lead our in-house design team in Baltimore, MD. Our team needs a thoughtful and design-obsessed product developer to help shape the future of ARMR products.
The Senior Industrial Designer will be responsible for managing and owning every aspect of our product design strategy and roadmap, from concept to production. Key areas of focus include, but are not limited to, the design and development of physical hard-good and apparel products, digital products, and the preparation of technical documentation for Regulatory & Manufacturing. The ideal candidate must be a visionary, comfortable dealing with complex problems, ambiguity and highly motivated to work in an early-stage commercial setting geared toward product development and collaborating directly with end users.
Lead industrial design efforts through all phases of the design and development process
- Create prototypes, mock-ups, and study models to prove-out concepts (i.e., foam modeling, simple plastic fabrication, 3D printing, sewing, etc.)
- Communicate new ideas and concepts through effective 2D sketches, 3D rendering and compelling design presentations to all levels of the company and various stakeholders.
- Direct all aspect of company’s apparel design, patternmaking, production, and advanced material research and integration.
- Manage the selection of components and materials for use in product design
- Develop 3D CAD models of parts and assemblies along with creation of technical drawings for product, components, tooling, etc.
- Optimize product manufacturability and facilitate the transfer of the design to manufacturing
Capturing, analyzing, and translating end-user insights into tangible design solutions
- Leverage human-centered design methodologies to identify what makes a product intuitive to use. Observe and interact within a clinical environment to identify and eliminate potential use errors early in the development process
- Spearhead development of appropriate user experience and design research infrastructure to enhance product design and user/stakeholder engagement (i.e., interviewing, surveying, and assessment of users/stakeholders)
- Plan, conduct, and synthesize generative (ethnographic) research interviews, surveys, and consumer beta testing, to determine design framework and refinements for new products
- Produce all expected UX artifacts: personas, scenarios, journey maps, task flows, wireframes, screen layouts, and interaction models, while rapidly evolving concepts into buildable designs
- Develop usability and human factor test protocols, recruit participants, conduct usability testing, analyze test results, and write formative and summative usability test reports
- Iterate upon designs based on user feedback, metrics, usability findings, and design critiques
Collaborating with company leadership & engineering team to develop and refine specific product roadmap plans based on research findings and market needs
- Co-lead the company’s brand management, digital, and print design efforts, from website improvements to media/marketing materials
- Explore new product categories through advanced concept development
- Maintain and develop brand identity via the established Company visual design language