APPAREL DESIGNER / MERCHANDISER
- Pelagic Gear
- United States
- Costa Mesa, CA
- 5 year(s)
- Not Available
Pelagic is looking for a HIGH ACHIEVING APPAREL DESIGNER / MERCHANDISER with a proven track record of success in action sports, outdoor apparel, or performance eyewear to help lead the charge and keep our trajectory on the steep and challenging slopes ahead.
The Apparel Designer will design products such as lifestyle, boardshorts, technical tops, technical outerwear, and accessories.
You will work closely with the Art Director to determine style, material, and color stories.
Produces design sketches and tech packs.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Responsible for designing a given number of products per season as well as managing carry- overs for assigned collections.
• Research global markets, review industry publications to stay current with market trends and identify new fabrics and techniques.
• Work with Art Director to develop seasonal color stories and inspiration boards.
• Research and understand our consumer needs.
• Administer a pro-active role through entire product design process.
• Create on-strategy designs within set timelines for multiple seasons.
• Create tech packs with detailed specifications for production.
• Ensures that the product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy.
• Supply accurate/complete Design Tech Packs on schedule.
• Partner with the Production Department to ensure tech packs are kept up to date, accurate and complete.
• Work with the Production Department to review strike offs and samples and make recommendations for corrections.
• Successfully performs these and other duties as assigned.
PELAGIC (PEL-A-GIC) Of, related to, or living in the open oceans and seas, rather than areas near land
Pelagic, Inc. manufactures, markets and distributes the premium Pelagic brand of high performance men’s, women’s and youth sport fishing & ocean inspired active wear, sunglasses, footwear, headwear and other sport fishing related accessories.
Pelagic is a 15-year-old apparel brand that was born in the waters off Newport Beach, California out of the pure love for sport fishing & ocean sports, and its dire need to have a proper brand of clothing that represents the lifestyle. Being a water-based sport, the style is much akin to the surf industry, albeit with the technical focus primarily on the needs and demands of sport fishing & ocean enthusiasts. Many of our products were developed to provide a strong defense against the harsh elements of the ocean environment - featuring water, wind, and sun protection, with a ton of style and functionality.
Aside from being a leader and innovator in the US sport fishing & ocean lifestyle market, the Pelagic brand name is well-known and admired across many different cultures around the world – wherever you find marinas, boats, and ocean-lovers, you will find Pelagic products being worn proudly by some of the world’s most passionate and influential consumer groups.
Over the last few years, the sport fishing & ocean lifestyle industry has taken off with many companies targeting this “trend” - at Pelagic, this is no trend, this is who we are and what we do – for 15 years and counting… and we strongly believe that we have just barely scratched the surface of this emerging global market
Education & Experience
• BA in Apparel Design or related field of study preferred.
• 2-3 years of professional experience in technical apparel.
• Understanding of the history and direction of market trends.
• Understanding of fit and patterning.
• Understanding of technical fabrics.
• Strong eye for color.
• Advanced knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
• Strong illustration skills- possess the ability of communicating a concept thru sketching free hand as well as on the computer.
• A knowledge of printing techniques and understanding of how graphics will translate onto a printable garment is a plus.
• Ability to work with multiple personalities in a diverse, fast paced environment to create a team atmosphere.
• Must have exceptional ability to manage time professionally and execute ideas from initial concept to completion.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
• Strong Verbal and written communication skills
• Flexibility working outside normal working hours
• Must live in Southern California
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through Malakye.com
• Competitive compensation and benefits package
• Generous time off so that you’ll stay balanced
• An incredible team of professionals to hang out with every day