Product Development Engineering Lead - Bell and Blackburn
- Bell Helmets
- United States
- Scotts Valley, CA (Santa Cruz Area)
- 5 year(s)
- Not Available
Join our talented team. Employees at Vista Outdoor are passionate and committed to delivering quality products to our customers. Our culture centers on an engaged and accountable workforce. Our goal is to attract and retain a diverse workforce: rich in talent, background, ideas and experience.
Bring your Mechanical Engineering skills to the next level with Bell and Blackburn in our Scotts Valley, CA location!
As the Product Development Engineering Lead - Bell and Blackburn you will be responsible for developing individual products and complete product lines of variable levels of difficulty, for which few precedents exist and in coordination with cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate will bring experience working within a consumer product industry and can support the activities of both product design and project execution. The candidate should be able to lead and develop teams. They will act as a thought partner for new product designs and lead the engineering and testing efforts. They will have direct management responsibilities of a Hong Kong based engineering team and should have experience remotely managing teams. Learn, develop, implement, utilize and refine tools that allow for lead-time reductions in the Bell Sports product development process (PLM systems, CAD systems, FEA system, and departmental standards).
Essential Job Functions:
- Work closely with Engineering, Product Marketing, and Industrial Design staff to conceptualize new product ideas based on an understanding of competitive products and market needs
- Support the development of the mechanical aspects of new products working in conjunction with industrial designers to combine function and aesthetics to create market leading products
- Establish and lead research efforts regarding materials, constructions and manufacturing processes to support the constant pursuit of innovation and adding value to the product portfolio.
- Direct the efforts of inside and outside resources to create drawings, models and prototypes
- Design new product and incorporate existing product in CAD
- Create and maintain design documentation such as engineering drawings, product and material specifications, bill of materials, etc. to assure quality in product designs
- Conduct cost analysis on new product designs
- Work closely with Project Managers to define and execute the master schedule and key milestones for all assigned projects under the guidance of the Sr. Manager - Product Creation.
- Evaluate designs relative to applicable safety standards and ensure compliance
- Test functional prototypes and tooled samples to verify design intent through virtual or physical methods
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering and Operations departments to improve cost and ease of manufacturing throughout development and after product launch
- Keep informed of the latest developments in the field by reading trade journals, individual contacts and attendance at appropriate meetings and/or trade shows
- Work with legal department pertaining with patents and related issues for new and existing product
- Work with the Quality and Compliance to address any quality or compliance concerns and identify opportunities to mitigate future concerns or occurrences
- Assist in new supplier qualification
- Domestic and international travel required as necessary (up to 15%)
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Education and Training:
- University level in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Mechatronic Engineering degree
- 5+ years prior experience in a similar position
- Computer experience and knowledge of Microsoft applications required (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- CAD experience required, preferably proficient in Solidworks
- Competence and familiarity with basic prototype/fabrication shop tools and procedures
- Mechanical aptitude in common manufacturing techniques and materials used in including, but not limited to, injection and compression molding, forging, die casting, extrusion, finishing, etc.
- Having worked with overseas (US Based) global design/manufacturing teams preferred
- Consumer product development experience preferred
Skills and Abilities:
Fostering Innovation, developing new product, Leadership, Developing People, Fostering Partnerships, Promoting Teamwork with Mechanical Engineering / Industrial Design development relationship, Effective Communication, Approachability, Accountability, Mechanical Aptitude, project management and organizational skills, Time Management and Prioritizing, Problem Solving
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
To apply, please click on the "External Application" link, and be sure to let us know you found this job on Malakye!
Highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical & dental, vision, disability & life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and ability to add value to an exciting mission!