Responsibilities and Qualifications
Bell exists to inspire and enable the next generation of boundary breakers. It is built from auto racing, motorcycle and bicycle culture. We don’t just make helmets; we make possibilities. Born in a garage. Fueled by grease and will. Guided by pure intent to encourage the world to live, ride, drive and thrive.
Time spent in our helmets is a precious escape from the day-to-day. For our riders, winning is about seizing the moment, going hard and having fun. Our job is to protect them, to inspire them, to cultivate confidence and to get out of the way.
We are seeking a Product Developer to drive our projects from conception to commercialization. You will be responsible for the development of World-class concepts from ideation through prototyping, initial development and final development. You will work closely with Product Management, Industrial Design and Mechanical Engineering teams to conceive and develop concepts and strategies for proof of concept. You will develop and prove out technical, manufacturable and consumer-valued product concepts and technical abilities that ultimately support future products that provide a benefit to the consumer, while striving to achieve or exceed standards beyond state of the art for return value to the company. The ideal candidate will be someone who is passionate about riding on two wheels, has exceptional organizational & analytical skills, a keen eye for design, engineering and a desire to be at the forefront of helmet design.
Roles & Responsibilities include:
• Owns and Manages product development activities for specific projects, from ideation and first prototype through commercialization and production; meeting defined brief requirements and applicable safety standards.
• Contributes creative solutions to problems identified along with Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering and Product Management; Contributes creative concepts for problems yet to be identified.
• Outlines strategies for proof of solutions and concepts.
• Writes and maintains project schedules; Coordinates within R&D to maximize resource efficiency.
• Maintains individual project budgets.
• Conduct cost analysis and quoting of new product designs under guidance of manager.
• Work with Manufacturing Engineers and Operations group to improve cost and ease of manufacturing
• Coordinate research regarding materials and constructions for all projects.
• Design and/or direct mechanical components and piece parts using CAD.
• Develop and evaluate designs relative to applicable safety standards.
• Test functional prototypes to verify design intent through virtual or physical methods.
• Meticulously update and Create design documentation such as engineering drawings, product and material specifications, bill of materials, etc. to assure quality in product designs.
• Direct the efforts of inside and outside resources to create drawings, models and working prototypes.
• Create testing protocols and ensure proper testing procedures to ensure delivery of quality products to the market.
• Provide direction to Manufacturing Engineers and Vendors to design and build tools both in-house and at our overseas manufacturing facilities.
• Consistently meet or beat assigned deliverables and project schedule dates.
• Acknowledge that your work affects the quality level of the final product.
• Keep informed of the latest developments in the field by reading trade journals, individual contacts and attendance at appropriate meetings and/or trade shows.
• Take on minor, major and platform level projects.
• Provide mentorship to staff.
Education & Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering (BS ME), Manufacturing & Design Engineering (BS MaDE) or equivalent work experience.
• At least 4 years relevant industry experience in a product development, design or innovation role.
• Expertise in common manufacturing techniques including injection, compression and bladder molding, vacuum forming and composites.
• Knowledge of garment construction, textiles and sundries.
• Helmet design, development and/or engineering experience desired.
• Knowledge of common Governmental helmet standards such as DOT, CPSC, ECE and JIS desired.
• Competence and familiarity with Lab equipment and testing.
• CAD experience such as Solidworks, Pro/E, Fusion 360 etc. preferred.
• Competence and familiarity with machine shop tools and procedures.
• Strong understanding of PLM, and competent with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint), particularly the ability to perform complex functions within Excel.
• Experience working with, and managing, international vendors for tooling and part manufacturing.
• Experience designing, building or generally creating “things”, whether for work, school or simply fun.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally – travel commitment of 15 - 20%
Skills & Attributes:
• Detail oriented with strong organizational skills. Great document organization and a desire to improve systems to ensure continual improvements and quality products.
• Effective Communication - Clear communication to internal and external customers in multiple formats (written, verbal)
• Fostering Innovation - looking beyond the norm in developing new product or practices and embracing necessary change
• Managing Project Complexity - Ability to execute minor, major and platform level projects from start to finish
• Provide leadership - Take ownership of projects, be decisive while considering the overall project and resources involved. Takes global consideration of each decision and action.
• Problem Solving - Effectively analyzing all aspects of a problem, gathering necessary data, consulting others, making an informed decision and communicating it to the appropriate people
• Mechanical Aptitude - Ability to perform professional mechanical engineering assignments of wide variety and complexity under general direction with considerable discretion as to work details given experience level
• Promoting Teamwork - Utilizing the power of the team over individual contributions; Appreciating the Mechanical Engineering / Industrial Design development relationship
• Patience / Listening / Respect - Thoughtful reflection and understanding of what others are saying before responding / reacting; acknowledging the needs and work of others
• Accountability - Taking accountability for your actions
• Work Management - Strong project management and organizational skills, acute attention to detail and refined aesthetic sensibilities
• Professional Expertise - Possessing expertise in professional area with experience backing it up. Maintaining knowledge of current advancements in technical areas.
• Self Sufficient - Acting with intelligence, self-direction and accuracy.
We offer a highly competitive salary, comprehensive benefits including: medical and dental, vision, disability and life insurance, 401K, PTO, tuition reimbursement, and the ability to add value to an exciting mission!
Our Postings are not intended for distribution to or use in any jurisdiction, country or territory where such distribution or use would violate local law or would subject us to any regulations in another jurisdiction, country or territory. We reserve the right to limit our Postings in any jurisdiction, country or territory.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled