The La Jolla Group is a worldwide leader in the action sports apparel business segment with a fast paced, high energy environment that is continually on the move. With prominent brands such as O’Neill, Spiritual Gangster, and Hang Ten, La Jolla Group has proved to be a builder of great brands, a creator of innovative products, and a master of operational excellence.
Join our team and enjoy a casual work environment, onsite gym, discount on clothes, summer hours and employer provided lunches and fruit! We believe our employees are our strongest asset and invest in their growth by focusing on developing their strengths.
The Emerging Brands Division at La Jolla Group is expanding and looking for an excited and highly motivated Product Developer to lead and manage the division’s efforts in sourcing, product development and production for all brands, categories and genders.
Current brand mix for this division includes Hang Ten, an iconic and heritage surf brand for Men, Women and Kids as well as Voyager, a start-up contemporary outdoor lifestyle brand with emphasis in Men’s to start.
• • • Ideal candidate will have strong knowledge of the entire development and production process from design concept through production as well as a passion and enthusiasm for Sportswear, sun protection, performance wear and eco-friendly initiatives. This person should have previous experience working with small batch runs, domestic suppliers and factories, LA mart experience and have relationships within this network that can help the EB Division continue to drive growth and margin from small scale volume to large over time. This position reports to the Director of Emerging Brands. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced product developer interested in taking on new initiatives and creating a strong network of resources for the growing division, and with an innovative, fun and growing company!
Essential Job Functions
• Responsible for development of product from design hand off through production for assigned categories. Categories will range from sportwear to swimwear to activewear and shapewear for all genders and can change as the division goals and line plans evolve.
• Work closely with Director of Emerging Brands and Designers to develop product that meets company margins while maintaining design intent and targeted IMU goals.
• Source new suppliers and resources that support division objectives for brands in various stages of growth, from start-up to established, and margin targets.
• Negotiate with factories to achieve costs that meet target wholesale and gross margin targets. Suggest alternatives when relevant.
• Handle all daily communication with all domestic and overseas vendors for all categories and brands. Some factory travel overseas may be required.
• Lead and manage all sourcing decisions based on volume, technique, fabrication and cost, with emphasis on new division initiatives moving into more eco-friendly options when/where available.
• Work closely with Design and technical team to maintain brand fit standards and attend all fittings.
• Responsible for maintaining PLM for all categories and brands, all sample comments, approvals, costing, etc.
• Partner with design team in proto review meetings to ensure accurate and detailed presentation to sales/buying teams and management.
• Create and manage seasonal development calendar (time and action calendar) in partnership with Design and Director of Emerging Brands for all categories to meet all deadlines. Track and approve all necessary submits of artwork, trims and packaging.
• Responsible for issuing, maintaining, and reconciling salesman sample PO’s.
• It is essential that all communication is accurate, complete, timely and professional.