Black Diamond is a company of users. We’re a company that's not just for rock climbers and skiers, but one that stands for the spirit of the sports we live. We're the greatest dreamers about what could be, and the harshest of critics about what exists. Our passion, dedication, and diligence is what drives our incredible team to relentlessly design, engineer and build the world's best climbing, skiing and mountain equipment. Bound by our undying passion for climbing, skiing and mountain adventure since 1957, our team’s limitless energy and hands-on involvement continues to create a promising future for all climbers and skiers worldwide.
This position is responsible for the daily operation of Black Diamond retail store ensuring excellent customer service is provided by a well trained, highly motivated, personable staff. The role includes strategizing sales and marketing plans to drive revenue into the store, budgeting, financial reporting and maximizing profits with minimum cost. This individual will have responsibility to assist in merchandising, inventory control and pre-season purchasing, compiling sales data and monitoring trends. It is expected that the Retail Store Manager will be on-site and oversee employee-customer interactions serving as a salesperson as required.
1. Responsible for and authorized to assist with all functions relating to the management of the retail store to achieve profit objectives including: hiring, training and motivating staff to provide excellent customer service; establish daily sales quotas for sales team and store, periodically reviewing, recognizing accomplishments, planning, forecasting, budgeting and financial reporting as required.
2. Creating sales/marketing strategies, promotions, advertising and merchandising programs.
3. Planning inventory and pre-season purchases; inventory control; negotiating with vendors and suppliers for procuring non-BD products. Assuring invoice/payment process occurs in a timely manner.
4. Evaluating customer feedback, sales reports, trends, competitor strategies/programs, etc. and providing timely information to Manager DTC and other colleagues.
5. Create and executive community engagement and events.
6. Work alongside of Director of Retail in store opening.
7. Collaborate with the Director of Retail on specialized projects.
8. Responsible for and authorized to ensure proper repair, maintenance and upkeep on facility; keep Facilities Manager aware of requirements and needs.
9. Responsible for communication directly with customers as needed, resolving problems and spending a portion of time on the sales floor actively selling.
10. Expected to maintain the safety of the staff and store, including responding to alarm calls and making certain the store is secure.
11. Authorized to assist company employees with accessibility to employee discount program and equipment rentals.
12. Responsible for the overview of the stores budget & P&L reviews each month.
13. Understands and can execute budget cuts, reallocation, and reforecasting.
• Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Sales/Merchandising, Business or related experience.
• Preferred: MBA.
Work Experience Required:
• 5-8 years retail store experience in outdoor equipment industry with high volume.
• 2-3 years of community engagement and events.
• Multi-store management a plus but not mandatory.
Skills and general experience:
• Retail management merchandising, organizational and communication skills are essential. Budgeting, time management, staffing/scheduling personnel, product knowledge, computer skills and basic accounting are required. Experience, knowledge of rock climbing, skiing and mountaineering is necessary.
General physical requirements:
• Visual acuity requirements: No special visual requirements.
• Motion and sensory requirements: Climbing, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, lifting, typing, talking hearing.
• Physical working conditions: Long periods of standing and occasional outside environment may be required.
Benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability as well as other wellness benefits, and 401k. BD offers supplemental accident, hospital insurance and pet insurance. Relaxed dress code and a dog friendly office. If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy discounts on industry gear and apparel.
Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex; including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Black Diamond Equipment HR representative.