Black Diamond is a company of users. We’re a company that's not just for rock climbers and skiers, but one that stands for the spirit of the sports we live. We're the greatest dreamers about what could be, and the harshest of critics about what exists. Our passion, dedication, and diligence is what drives our incredible team to relentlessly design, engineer and build the world's best climbing, skiing and mountain equipment. Bound by our undying passion for climbing, skiing and mountain adventure since 1957, our team’s limitless energy and hands-on involvement continues to create a promising future for all climbers and skiers worldwide.
Black Diamond is looking for a Technical Designer/Fit Technician. This position is a ‘purple unicorn’ position primarily responsible for ensuring the company’s fit and design intent are met and maintained across all apparel categories while meeting quality standards. The right candidate will possess an understanding of activity-specific fit and function (climb, ski, technical, and sportswear) experience in pattern making and grading, and a strong skill set in analyzing and researching industry trends propelling innovations forward. In partnering with design and development, this role will provide technical leadership by supporting the team from idea through spec creation and sample reviews, ensuring consistency and quality throughout the commercialization process. Excellent communication skills and a passion for building superior product are paramount. This job is located at BD's headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah.
• Evaluate, update, and maintain block library ensuring fit accuracy, brand consistency and product quality across all categories.
• Integrate fit between styles within technical layering system of the Black Diamond apparel collection.
• Collaborate and support Designers, Product Developers and Category Directors to create new styles each season and provide innovative solutions to design problems.
• Identify potential production, quality and costing issues while making recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
• Create and maintain product specs, including advanced constructions, in ai and/or patternmaking software.
• Communicate fit intent, balance and construction to vendors via measurement charts, patterns, sketches and/or digital images.
• Prioritize workload to meet project, department, and/or company deadlines.
• Evaluate samples to determine compliance of specs, construction and fit intents are met and aligned across product categories from development through production.
• Coordinate and lead fit sessions providing input to improve fit, function, and appearance, including identifying and coordinating physical fit models.
• Resolve and communicate fit and construction issues with all stakeholders within production timelines.
• Collaborate with Product Developers to create mock-ups and communicate fit updates to factories.
• Communicate any style delays to management which may impact deliveries while driving creative solutions forward.
• Ensure quality, fit, and functional standards are met throughout the commercialization process and by style final.
• Review final measurements for consistency and apply grades to styles prior to bulk.
• Analyze customer comments and sales feedback to continuously improve fit and overall quality.
• Support the team and marketing in capturing and communicating all fit related information.
• Drive projects in accordance with key deadlines and maintain a seasonal WIP.
• Research technologies that improve fit and communications around fit.
• 5+ years’ experience in Apparel Technical-Design and Patternmaking.
• Excellent understanding of the design, development and overall commercialization process from inception through production.
• Strong knowledge of patternmaking, garment construction, fit and fabric performance.
• Strong ability to interpret design intent from sketches and offer creative pattern and construction solutions.
• Ability to instruct a manufacturer on necessary pattern changes to influence fit.
• Understanding of grading principles.
• Skills in data collection (including digital tools) and analytics.
• Advanced skills in Excel, PLM, and Adobe Illustrator. CAD pattern design software a plus.
Strengths & Requirements:
• Self-motivated with successful time management skills and laser focus.
• Strong problem solving and decision-making ability, to analyze, trouble-shoot and problem solve fit and/or construction issues.
• Excellent written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
• Experience with a variety of product categories including sportswear and technical outerwear.
• Ability to act as technical consultant and mentor others.
• Ability to build constructive and effective relationships with all cross functional partners.
• Collaborative and inspiring team player with sense of urgency a must.
• Visionary who strives to continuously improve processes and products.