At Black Diamond Equipment we are driven by a passion to relentlessly design, engineer, and build the world's best climbing, skiing, and mountain equipment. We’re a company that's not just for rock climbers and skiers, but one that stands for the spirit of the sports we live. We're the greatest dreamers about what could be, and the harshest of critics about what exists. Our passion, dedication, and diligence is what drives our incredible team to relentlessly design, engineer and build the world's best climbing, skiing and mountain equipment. Bound by our passion for climbing, skiing and mountain adventure since our humble beginning in 1957, our team’s limitless energy and hands-on involvement continues to create a promising future for all outdoor enthusiasts worldwide.
Will be responsible for the management and execution of Black Diamond’s Product Creation Process activities for the variety of product categories at Black Diamond. Will be responsible for the project management as well as leading all the development tasks from the design specification hand off phase through to the final product commercialization phase. Will be expected to complete all required development functions in accordance with the Product Creation Process and within the published company development timeline, projected product costing and spending targets. In addition, will work as a member of a cooperative team based working environment. Furthermore, based on his/her experience levels, may be asked to provide advice and guidance on line concepts, manufacturability, cost and supplier input during the design conceptualization phase. Will be expected to assume a managing role during the sampling and implementation phase, whether made in-house or out, and provide a seamless transition of the product into stable bulk manufacturing.
At BD, benefits begin on the first of the month following your date of hire with a generous portion of medical and dental paid for by BD. You also will get employer paid life insurance, Short and Long Term Disability, as well as other wellness benefits, 401k, vacation and wellness time off, paid parent time, paid volunteer days, and company paid holidays. If that isn't enough, we are also a pet-friendly workplace with a casual dress code! If your passions are also in the outdoors, then you will also enjoy employee discounts on BD gear and apparel.
• Bachelor's Degree in Operations Management, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
• A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline combined with work experience in the design, development or manufacture of consumer products, especially technical products. (Preferred)
• Minimum of 5 years of development, design, product management, global logistics or process engineering experience in technical products. In addition, experience in sub-component supply chain management, project management and/or product development in an ISO compliment company(s) in outdoor recreation market and/or related industries is desired.
• Comprehensive understanding of global manufacturing enterprises combined with the leadership traits and communication skills required to excel in this environment.
• Extensive knowledge of specific manufacturing techniques such as, machining, forging, forming, casting, plastic injection molding, lamination, cut & sew, knitting, braiding and weaving.
• Experience with quality systems, lean manufacturing techniques, sourcing and vendor qualification, product design, cost management, MRP and global logistics is desired. Strong leadership, collaboration and negotiation skills are required.
• Thorough knowledge of MS office tools required. Must be able to use the product in the field and provide critical feedback on product function.
• Valid passport and drivers’ license
• You must be willing to travel within the contiguous United States of America (USA), as well as abroad to work with suppliers, contractors, and others. You may also attend relevant off site events as required to complete his/her job responsibilities. This position may require a total travel time away from Salt Lake City, Utah, USA of up to twenty percent (20%) of the work year or fifty-two (52) business day or ten (10) weeks per year.
Proven problem solving abilities and mechanical aptitude.
• Must have a proven problem solving ability and the natural inclination to think in three dimensions.
• Must be an eternal optimist and a strong team player.
• Must have the ability to understand and create mechanical drawings and/or techpacks in order to adequately communicate design intent.
• Preference will be given to those with development experience appropriate to the product categories of responsibility.
• Must have relevant computer expertise with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Project as well as an understanding of photo editing. Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Publisher experience is also preferred.
• Must also be able to quickly learn and apply additional software tools as required.
Proven project/timeline management skills
Must have proven timeline/project management experience, be disciplined, detail oriented, organized and have the ability to multi-task in a group environment. Must be willing and able to lead the Design Team through projects from start to finish.
Alignment with Black Diamond values
Must share and believe in Black Diamond’s corporate values, culture and passions. You must be an active skier, snowboarder, climber, mountaineer and/or outdoor enthusiast. Must demonstrate the following traits: Passionate, Innovative, Humble,
Committed and Driven.
Must have the ability to clearly, concisely and accurately communicate technical product issues in both written and verbal form. Must be able to shift communication styles to interact successfully with different types of people and cultures.
You must value working in a team environment and strive to contribute to the team’s success. Understands and respects the unique roles that each member plays.
Must be self-directed, action-oriented, mature, team player, confident, decisive, creative problem solver always willing to think outside the box. Must be persistent – doesn’t take ‘no’ for an answer and eager to search out solutions to the challenge at hand.
• Authorized and responsible to perform all duties in accordance with BDEL Quality, Safety and Employee Policies and procedures:
• Responsible for the management and coordination of product components and finished product development and manufacturing integration from design into bulk production. This includes the oversight of all sales sample production.
• Responsible for the creation, proper and timely maintenance of all required development documentation as specified by the Director of Product Development.
• Authorized and responsible to provide development timeline status and task assignments through various project management delivery systems (ERP system, design team meetings, etc)
• Authorized to purchase and responsible for management (and reporting and tracking of) any tooling used for the development of product which can be capitalized. All proposed and actual spending for tooling must be reviewed with the Director of Product Development and the Controller on a Quarterly basis.
• Strategic Supplier/Vendor Management - Working in close alignment with the Product side of the business and the appropriate Supply Chain representative, the Development Engineer will be responsible to discover, qualify and manage relationships with Black Diamond’s strategic vendor base.
These responsibilities include:
• Understanding the sorts of vendor capabilities that are needed to bring to market innovative BD designs in the lowest cost manner possible
• Managing this vendor base to assure adherence to all requirements established in BD’s Vendor Guide