At Levi Strauss & Co, we are revolutionizing the apparel business and redefining the way denim is made.
We are taking one of the world’s most iconic brands into the next century:
from creating machine learning-powered denim finishes to using block-chain for our factory workers’ wellbeing, to building algorithms to better meet the needs of our consumers and optimize our supply chain.
Be a pioneer in the fashion industry by joining our global Data, Analytics & AI “startup with assets,” where you will have the chance to build exciting solutions that will impact our Americas business and at the same time be part of a bigger, across-continents, data community.
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will work on a broad set of domains that power a data driven transformation of our standard business procedures across channels and organizations. You will be responsible for developing and deploying novel algorithms along with optimizing existing machine learning systems to maximize their business value and increase consumer satisfaction at every brand touchpoint. You will also get the invaluable opportunity to mentor a closely-knit team of diverse and enterprenuerial data scientists and truly shape their career trajectory through your expertise and experience.
We are looking for someone who is a technology-agnostic polymath—committed to a lifelong journey of continuous learning and exploration of innovative scientific ideas—and will bring thoughtful perspectives, empathy, creativity, and a positive attitude to solve problems at scale. This role is ideal for someone looking to extend their algorithm design and software engineering skills into a part mentor, part IC, part thought partner role.
Besides driving the transformation of Levi’s into a data-driven enterprise in general, here are some specific projects you will get to work on and contribute towards:
• Personalized in-session product recommendation engine
• Customer Segmentation
• Automated text summarization and clustering
• Next-Best offer prediction
• Designing Microassortments for Next-Gen stores
• Anomaly detection and Root Cause Analysis
• Unified consumer profile with probabilistic record linkage
• Visual search for similar and complementary products
About the Job:
• Architect, build, maintain, and improve new and existing suite of algorithms and their underlying systems.
• Implement end-to-end solutions for batch and real-time algorithms along with requisite tooling around monitoring, logging, automated testing, performance testing and A/B testing
• Utilize your entrepreneurial spirit to identify new opportunities to optimize business processes and improve consumer experiences, and prototype solutions to demonstrate value with a crawl, walk, run mindset.
• Work closely with data scientists and analysts to create and deploy new product features on the ecommerce website, in-store portals and the Levi’s mobile app
• Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for data analyses, model development, validation and implementation
• Write efficient and well-organized software to ship products in an iterative, continual-release environment
• Contribute to and promote good software engineering practices across the team
• Mentor and educate team members to adopt best practices in writing and maintaining production machine learning code
• Communicate clearly and effectively to technical and non-technical audiences equally well
• Actively contribute to and re-use community best practices
• Embody the values and passions that characterize Levi Strauss & Co., with empathy to engage with colleagues from a wide range of backgrounds
• University or advanced degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, or a related field
• 5+ years experience developing and deploying machine learning systems into production
• Strong experience working with a variety of relational SQL and NoSQL databases
• Strong experience working with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
• Experience with at least one cloud provider solution (AWS, GCP, Azure)
• Strong experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc.
• Ability to work in a Linux environment
• Industry experience building and productionizing innovative end-to-end Machine Learning systems
• Ability to quickly prototype ideas and solve complex problems by adapting creative approaches
• Experience working with distributed systems, service oriented architectures and designing APIs
• Strong knowledge of data pipeline and workflow management tools
• Expertise in standard software engineering methodology, e.g. unit testing, test automation, continuous integration, code reviews, design documentation
• Relevant working experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a big plus
LOCATION1155 Battery St. San Francisco, CA, 94111FULL TIME/PART TIMEFull time