At Outdoor Research®, we built a company from a feeling: the urge to get out. It is what drives us. We love coming to work every day and inventing ever better solutions to what nature throws our way. But we are more than just the gear we build. We're part of a community of friends whose lives are connected by our collective need to be outside. Our community is devoted to exploring our outdoor passions and challenging ourselves in the mountains, water, and deserts of the planet we love.
And we want you in it because we are pretty sure that the bigger our community gets, the better off the world will be.
About this role:
As a Technical Designer for gloves and accessories, you will play an integral part in the seasonal product development process, to uphold the OR design intent while adhering to product performance and corporate standard guidelines. You will collaborate closely with a team of Design, Development, and Product Managers as you create product specifications, manage fit and construction, and provide product oversight from design handoff to commercialization. By having exposure to industry trends and innovations, collaboration with our athlete team, and close partnerships with our manufacturers, you will drive product excellence to meet the highest quality standards as you commercialize products against an agreed process and timeline. You will proactively problem-solve to facilitate development solutions that support Outdoor Research core end uses and serve consumer needs.
The Accessory Technical Designer's focus is to prepare and maintain seasonally accurate tech packs and manage the flow and communication to factory partners. To critique all proto, sales, & pre-production samples against the tech pack specifications for fit, sewing quality, design accuracy, and functionality; both new, updated, and carry over. To follow OR's standard grade rules for all product types to be knowledgeable concerning appropriate POM (point of measure) selection and usage to drive consistent and achievable fit direction for all product types. Ability to provide guidance and ensure adherence to hand and spec standards and fit categories and prepare spec report for fittings. Partners with design to accurately build out colorway specifications in the BOM. Proactively communicate with vendor partners and contractors during the entire development process, working diligently to eliminate errors and costly production delays. Our goal is to create products that exceed consumer's expectations, are innovative, and commercially compelling. We look for an individual experienced in glove and headwear development—a curious, critical thinker looking to apply their skills at a premier Outdoor brand.
What you should bring to the table
• Strong knowledge of glove construction, technical and functional applications, construction techniques, manufacturing methods, fabrications, and trims
• Strong understanding of performance materials and technologies
• Proven ability to troubleshoot and solve potential production, construction, and fit issues
• Experience with construction and fit for a wide range of performance and technical accessory products, patternmaking exposure a bonus
• Highly focused sense of detail and accuracy with proven track record to meet schedules and deadlines
• Manages their priorities and workload to complete the required tasks; works well under moderate supervision
• Honest, dependable team player with strong communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively within cross-functional teams
• A curious learner that seeks to expand their knowledge base
• Prior experience developing and communicating with manufacturing partners in a factory setting with the ability to travel overseas
Highly Proficient in the following systems:
• PC proficient
• Web PDM or related tech pack system
• Microsoft Office
• 3 – 5 years industry experience in glove, headwear and accessory product development
• Degree from accredited apparel design/development program