Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
The Brooks Next innovation group is a team of world-class innovative minds collectively focused on improving the performance running experience through product, experiential and bio-mechanical innovation. They constantly challenge assumptions of how products are made and together they shape the future of running footwear. They stretch the limits of science and human performance with every innovation and are relentlessly focused on changes that benefit the Brooks runner. They pioneer relationships with manufacturing partners and suppliers, uncovering new partnerships with global industry leaders to create innovations and bring new Brooks innovations to life. The Next team operates across the full range of product creation, merchandising, brand strategy, sourcing and new business development to relentlessly pursue methods to make better-performing, higher-quality and sustainable products faster and more efficiently than ever before
As our Footwear Innovation Developer, you will utilize your advanced product and process knowledge to manage the product development process for innovation programs that will drive the future of Brooks Running. You will work with a global, cross-functional product creation team from the collection of insights through commercialization to create products that deliver new running experiences and exceed runner expectations. You will create and manage project timelines across the innovation triad driving the research, prototyping and validation of ideas through the advanced R&D process delivering ready for in-line product and technologies. You will work with strategic partners outside of Brooks to cultivate new ideas and deliver groundbreaking products that challenge and shape the future of running.
• Oversee and manage multiple innovation projects from Insights, Brief & Research through Design, Development & Validation and into Commercialization & Manufacturing.
• Create and execute project development plans/ schedules according to the strategic critical dates that lead to on–time delivery of samples, portfolio reviews, validation, technology transfers and final product/ technology confirmation.
• Lead the prototyping, testing and validation of concepts via advanced problem solving and product creation skills. Partner with Design, PLMs, Engineering, Manufacturing and vendor/ partners to ensure products exceed runner expectations, are manufacturable and meet performance and quality objectives of the organization
• Display an in-depth knowledge of the manufacturing process with the ability to manipulate the process in order to advance and achieve new manufacturing techniques which enhance the overall performance and efficiency of product .
• Create product specification and BOMs for each product with the ability to transfer all specifications and best practices into the In-Line process.
• Lead/participate in development trips, 3 - 4 per year, to work with manufacturers and suppliers on existing and current development projects
• Recommend and specify to the product team the material, component and construction options to meet product’s functional goals, as well as ensure product performance integrity through product testing (physical and field testing).
• Initiate and lead meetings with product teams during various phases of development to review, evaluate, update and ultimately drive the decision-making process that leads to on–time production confirmation and margin goals.
• Create and build a knowledge base and stay informed about vendor capabilities and performance, factory relationships, quality issues, materials pricing and lead times.
• Bachelor’s or Masters Degree in Engineering, Design, Biomechanics or other applicable technical degrees.
• 6+ successful years relevant work experience in the product development of high performance footwear
• Technical expertize in footwear product development with an advanced knowledge of the total footwear construction process including; outsole/midsole drawing, pattern engineering, blueprint and mold creation, material construction, testing and costing.
• Strong understanding of manufacturing capabilities, anticipating issues, problem solving with timely resolution.
• Strong understanding of Lab, fit, wear and biomechanical testing and specification concepts and processes.
• Proven ability to lead and influence in a collaborative, cross-functional group without command/ control to meet strategic objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to develop highly productive relationships with individuals and teams that are made up of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds resulting in effective working relationships across the company
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an advanced ability to communicate new ideas, concepts and functional expertise within project teams and to external stakeholders.
• Strong presentation skills and professional knowledge of Powerpoint, Keynote or other electronic means to communicate new concepts or ideas. Technical writing capability a plus.
• Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks (self and through others), while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
• Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our partners, our products or other departments’ operations and/or morale; “connecting the dots.”
• Curious and open minded; always open for a challenge, inventive, creative. With the ability to challenge the status quo – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
• Strong computer skills including experience with Illustrator, MS Office software.
• Proven ability to lead and influence in collaborative, team oriented and complex global environments.
• Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brook