Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
The Manager, Apparel Development leads and ensures the timely development and commercialization of the apparel line. You are responsible for solving manufacturing/prototyping issues, as well as proto costing analysis in order to meet the gross margin targets. You work cross-functionally with Product Line Management, Merchandising, Design, Sourcing and Operations to effectively achieve product creation goals. In this role, you manage the development process from design concept through commercialization for SMS, including overseeing product testing. As an integral member of the Development Management Team, you lead the Apparel Development team in the creation of innovative, industry leading product. You achieve our product goals through passion for fine-tuning the details, achieving proper fit, and ensuring high performing run bras.
• Lead, mentor and coach a team of Apparel Developers to ensure timely development and commercialization of the apparel line.
• Manage (including goal setting, performance review, hiring decisions, team culture, etc.) and support the career development of direct reports to ensure job satisfaction, retention and to identify and develop bench strength.
• Provide leadership and mentor-ship to the team members to build their skill sets and develop opportunities for them to grow their career.
• Manage and maintain a product development system that is clear, concise and transparent to all teams involved. Ensure that all proper steps are taken to produce a product that is innovative, optimized for production, and thoroughly tested to achieve the high quality standards set forth by the Brooks brand.
• Establish and ensure adherence to the dates on the Brooks development calendar.
• Identify and set departmental priorities, managing employee work loads and resources in order to maintain accountability to established calendar dates and ensure on time delivery of product.
• Work with internal team and external vendors to continually reevaluate and refine departmental procedures and processes for maximum efficiency and product quality.
• Research the market and stay relevant with current construction and technology trends for the active sector. Advise on incorporation of new technologies, techniques and processes into Brooks product development.
• Serve as the main contact between Brooks and our garment vendors, ensuring that seasonal calendar and expectations are clearly stated and adhered to by vendor partners.
• Work with the Development Management Team to effectively source and commercialize trims and fabrics for each season with shared opportunities to maximize efficiencies and achieve sustainability goals for the company.
• Partner with Corporate Responsibility to understand sustainability goals and determine how we can design our product development processes to contribute to attainment of our CR targets.
• Serve as a thought leader on solving production issues and communicate with the Development Team to execute a workable solution.
• Utilize working knowledge of block system and understanding of grade rule application as it applies to garment engineering and fit to ensure maintenance or evolution of fit as trend, market and brand needs change.
• Use high level knowledge of body shapes and how shape affects fit to guide fit decisions as it relates to the design aesthetic
• Research and partner with cross functional teams to understand future concepts and innovations within bra technology, fabrics, components, trims and manufacturing techniques and make recommendations for commercial opportunities.
• Work closely with the PLM, Design and Development Team on the Apparel Line Architecture to understand the projected development of the line and use this information to establish consistency in the line for fit and performance attributes
• Attend consumer insight sessions and partner with the Apparel Leadership Team to distill key takeaways.
• Other responsibilities as required
• Educational experience to include Bachelors’ degree in Apparel or related field required
• 7 years’ experience working within Apparel field, preferably lingerie/swim/sports categories
• 3+ years of people management experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
• Excellent interpersonal skills that inspire and build trust resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
• Computer proficiency with pattern making software and a PDM system a must. Must also have working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Office
• Prior working knowledge of using 3D software in pattern, component and design development [Apparel specific software's] preferred
• Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks, while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
• Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our partners, our products or other departments’ operations and/or morale; “connecting the dots.”
• Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help out wherever necessary.
• Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
• Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
• Must be able to travel domestically and internationally 4 times a year.
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without r