Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
We are seeking a passionate Senior Research Data Scientist on the Run Research Team to help us build and create the future of the run. Our mission is to create the most personalized running experiences by developing a holistic view of our runners, deepening our understanding through data and analytics and applying those insights to optimize our products, services and Run Happy experiences for our runners. From optimizing performance and assessing injury risk to improving the experience on the run, you’ll help establish data pipelines to support and scale our analytics programs that will enable our teams to create amazing products and elevate experience for our runners.
As a Senior Research Data Scientist, you are in a strategic role to lead and shape our technical data analytics strategy for the Run Research Lab by developing and deploying machine learning, forecasting and optimization solutions to solve some of our most difficult questions as we strive to elevate the running experience. You’ll provide leadership, direction and guidance to your direct reports and the extended teams as we build our core data platforms to curate and analyze data to deliver insights that will enable us to imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry changing technology to advance our product’s performance and running experience.
You’ll work cross functionally, collaborating with the research teams, our product assessment teams, our product creation teams, external partners and IT to leverage data and analytics that will allow us to inform how we help runners achieve their path to a better self. You are excited to design, build and support models that recommend great products to runners, predict what runners want and need on and off their run and how to provide them with the feedback they need to get the most out of their run.
You and your team will be responsible for exploring new data sources from collection to optimization and engage tools that enable quick and efficient iterations. You will partner with IT for the integration and iteration of proven data sources on the enterprise data platform. This is a growing team, so you will thrive in a dynamic, collaborative, learn as we go environment and are excited to work in green spaces exploring to lean and develop relevant applications to our products, process and systems. The right candidate is excited, curious and passionate about optimizing the Run and enabling the Run Research Lab’s data to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
• Manage the Research Data Scientists on your team to execute against their projects and the strategic roadmap at a high level. Instilling the ability to challenge the status quo, think outside the box, and translate data science findings and concepts into tangible and actionable product advancements.
• Lead the strategic planning for data science programs and development within the Run Research Lab, working closely with the Senior Managers of the Run Research lab and cross functional leadership to ensure alignment across product initiatives and Data and Analytics services
• Manage and evolve Run Research data science initiatives related to human performance and runner perception data that innovate for the runner, collaborating closely with Researchers, Analysts, Developers and Data Analytics Services.
• Display an expert understanding of data science as it pertains to human movement, runner perception data and the interaction/ application with performance running product. Collaboratively partner with Data Analytics Services within IT to identify opportunities between software engineering and Run Research, creating prototypes for data science concepts unlike anything else on the market.
• Manage (including goal setting, performance review, hiring decisions, team culture, etc.) and support the career development of direct reports to ensure job satisfaction, retention and to identify and develop organizational strength.
• Provide direction, input and leadership in the research, development and management, implementation and deployment of scalable data analytics vision and machine learning solutions across the organization and to direct reports with the ability to teach and guide.
• Lead the development, management and execution of short and near-term programs critical to the Run Research Lab’s success. Lead the development and execution of the strategic roadmap.
• Partner with leadership on the Data Analytics Services Team with IT, representing the Run Research Lab, providing point of view on key architectural and technical decisions as they apply to Run Research Data, including but not limited to kinetics, kinematics, physiology and runner perception.
• Lead advancements in data driven decision making for product creation utilizing human performance and subjective perception data as we build for the runner. Identify new data sources that may bring value to identifying unique attributes of runners related to their running performance and emotional responses to product and the run.
• Solve new and hard problems using statistical, Machine Learning, or optimization approaches to create measurable runner facing impact. Anticipate future data research & methodological opportunities, trends and vulnerabilities
• Collaborate with enterprise and data analytics teams to advance patterns, frameworks, approaches, standards and guidelines for ingestion of human performance and runner perception data. Decide which data to use to solve problems. Design experiments leveraging your models to measure effectiveness.
• Teach, train and present scientific principles related to data science using human movement and runner perception data and their relationship to product performance. Present to technical and non-technical groups, clearly communicating the Brooks point of view and sharing the learnings and application of findings to our products and the run.
• Translate prototype models to production quality, scaling to runners around the globe.
• Clean, prepare and optimize data at scale including interfaces between Brooks and third-party systems to enable real time data preparation and analysis.
• Collaborate with software engineering, product management and other ap