Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
The Human Performance Lab Intern will gain hands-on experience of product research from the leading running brand Brooks Running Company. The primary responsibilities of the Lab Intern will be to assist in data collection and processing for the Research Team. The protocols will include but not be limited to biomechanical, mechanical, and metabolic testing. The Lab Intern will also gain knowledge on how the lab influences and impacts the design and development of running shoes and apparel.
Internship Target Start: May 2021 or June 2021
Duration of Internship: 6 months
Pay Rate: $18.00/hour
Location: Seattle, WA
Please apply if you can commit to the duration, salary and location for this opportunity. The role will operate from our Corporate Office in Seattle, WA.
• Collect, process and analyze mechanical and biomechanical data in Matlab and Visual 3D and prepare scientific reports based on findings.
• Perform mechanical testing on plaque materials and shoes.
• Use machine shop to create various prototypes and lab equipment.
• Become familiar with running shoe design features and components.
• Develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
• Become comfortable with the use of various instruments to collect mechanical, biomechanical and metabolic data.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Recently graduated from a graduate-level degree in Biomechanics, Bioengineering, Kinesiology, Neuroscience or Human Physiology.
• College experience in a biomechanics lab or a lab that involved data collection on human subjects.
• Experience working with 3D Motion Capture equipment and/or wearables (e.g., IMUs).
• Data analysis skills using software such as Matlab, Python, or Visual 3D.
• Experience collecting physiological data using a metabolic cart, collection EMG data, and using machine shop equipment a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
• Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks.
• Demonstration of creativity and initiative – always looking to improve products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
• Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
• Maximum commitment of 6 months.
• Must be available to work 40 hours per week.
• Ability to arrange transportation to Brooks Headquarters in Seattle, WA.
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, the presence of a sensory, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military status, marital status, pregnancy or child birth, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, political ideology, or any other non-merit based factors.
Apply for this job