Who We Are:
Brooks is a team of passionate people united by a desire to do meaningful work, lead healthy lives and make a difference. We share a focused mission: to inspire everyone to run and be active. That’s it. No distractions—it’s all about the run. Through science, creativity, service, authenticity and connection, we obsess over delivering the best running gear on the planet. We do it our way, with our unique spirit, with a goal of being more relevant to runners than any other brand, day after day and mile after mile. We are determined to innovate, challenging ourselves to lead thought at every turn. Inside these walls and on the roads, tracks and trails, we live and breathe Run Happy, celebrating the positive impact running has on our lives and others. We inject it into all we do because it makes everything better, smarter, more fun and more memorable. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together and creates the conditions for success. It is lived daily as a behavioral expression of our collective set of brand values: Connect with People, Innovate for our Customer, Compete as a Team, Build Trust, Have Fun & Bring Passion, and Be Active. If you’re on our team, it means you’re part of creating something extraordinary. You’re part of Brooks.
Brooks has revolutionized its Data & Analytics capabilities by rebuilding the ecosystem through the use of best of breed cloud native technologies in multi-cloud environment. This is just the start, however, as we will continue to evaluate, implement and expand our platform to exceed the needs of our business partners. We will partner with our business teams to understand their challenges and seek to implement solutions that they never thought possible. Further we will continue to adopt best practices for operational excellence (e.g. Agile, DevOps, CI/CD, DataOps). Brooks is a data savvy company and our teams expect results.
The successful Principal Data Engineer candidate will be a self-starter and will be the expert for data engineering at Brooks. You will work closely with all disciplines of Data & Analytics, IT, and business teams to understand the problems and drive the correct solutions. This is an individual contributor role, it will be highly influential on defining our strategy and architecture for data engineering, and it will cover both data engineering for business intelligence and data science use cases.
Come join Brooks in leading the way with Data & Analytics!
• Break down and architect the most complex data engineering problems to deliver insights that meets and ideally exceeds business needs
• Own and deliver (either directly or indirectly) solutions - from ingestion of sources to data products for end user consumption, from conceptual iteration to production support
• Technical authority across all data engineering capabilities; approves all solutions and reviews functionality where appropriate
• Deliver and ensure sustained performance of all data engineering pipelines and remediate where required
• Maintain plan for continual modernization of data pipelines using current technologies and processes
• Establish guiding principles, standards, and patterns and governance for data engineering
• Own all data engineering pipelines delivered as part of the Enterprise Data & Analytics platform including performance, uptime, reduced technical debt, scalability, and extensibility; establish KPIs
• Own source code management, documentation (technical and end user), and release planning for data engineering products; lean-in to DataOps, DevOps, and CI/CD principles and patterns
• Foster a culture of sharing, re-use, design for scale and stability, and operational efficiency of data and analytical solutions
• Identify and proactively manage risks to the data engineering platform
• Lead the evaluation, implementation and deployment of emerging tools and processes for data engineering in order to improve productivity and results
• Track and be able to explain costs allocated to data pipelines, along with purpose and business value – be able to tell the story of why we are ingesting the data with the defined architecture
• Partner with Data Management, InfoSec, and Legal & Compliance teams to ensure global regulations (e.g. CCPA, GDPR) are implemented and data lifecycle is defined and implemented
• Maintain current knowledge of advancements, innovations, opportunities and challenges in data engineering for business intelligence and data engineering for data science
• Sponsor data engineering practices across the enterprise – both to the internal engineering team and more broadly for “citizen data engineers”
• Instill comprehension of technical concepts from non-technical audiences through presentations (executive leadership and large groups), email, and meetings.
• Develop and maintain a strategy and roadmap for data engineering in alignment with the overall strategy and roadmap for the Enterprise Data & Analytics team and Organization
• Bring a positive Run Happy energy and work with the team to deliver the best possible solutions
• Learn the business, learn the data that supports the business; be a partner – don’t just implement technology
• Live Brooks’ values
• Other responsibilities as required
• 10+ years of experience in enterprise software solutions in the capacity of software architect, solution architect, or engineering lead
• 10+ years of experience in databases, data warehouses, and ETL / ELT pipelines
• 5+ years in cloud-based data warehousing (Snowflake preferred)
• Expert in Python and SQL
• Proficient with Git (command line)
• Experience with cloud microservices (AWS preferred) and/or data streaming technologies and/or Machine Learning is a big plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
• Excellent interpersonal skills that inspire and build trust resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
• Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks, while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
• Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our partners, our products or other departments’ operations and/or morale; “connecting the dots.”
• Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help out wherever necessary.
• Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
• Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Information Systems or related disciplinesPAG