A Buyer at Next Adventure is a proven leader who embodies our values, and incorporates them into our passion for our people, products, and customers. The role of Buyer at Next Adventure is first and foremost a Leadership position. Our Buyers are responsible for the full Retail Cycle of the product category they represent, from initial product strategy to assortment planning, to the final sell-through — the responsibilities are entirely theirs. Performance metrics in this role include Gross Margin Contribution, Inventory Turns, and GMROI.
Close cooperation with the Location Managers is critical to the Buyer’s overall success. The Buyers lead the profitability of their departments through comprehensively training sales staff, setting clear expectations, and building strong relationships both with our vendors and internally. The Buyers at Next Adventure are responsible for strategically purchasing their category’s products to maximize profit and minimize on-hand inventory for our growing company.
The right candidate for this role will develop a clear strategic vision for their category, have very strong product knowledge, excellent communication skills, and the technical abilities necessary to effectively manage a large and constantly shifting inventory picture.
The work of this role happens both on the sales floor and in an office setting depending on the seasonal timeline and immediate needs of the company. This is a full-time, salaried position with bonuses available based on category performance.
STRATEGIC CATEGORY PLANNING:
• Create and communicate a comprehensive buying/selling plan for the category.
• Collaborate with Controller to balance inventory, forecast sales, and plan the category retail cycle
• Effectively manage annual department purchasing budgets.
• Manage MAP window sales and breaks to ensure maximum sell-through.
• Work closely with the marketing team to promote MAP window sales and ensure that we’re offering our customers the best possible value in relation to our competition.
• Identify the best products to promote through advertising channels.
CATEGORY & ASSORTMENT PLANNING:
• Create the product picture, category plan, and assortment plan for their department.
• Actively participate in weekly and monthly planning meetings with company owners.
• Lead department staff at multiple retail locations by creating and maintaining a culture of accountability and excellence.
• Work the retail sales floor at multiple retail locations to stay in touch with customer needs and emerging trends.
• Create purchase orders and transfers in Retail Pro POS system.
• Negotiate discounts, payment terms, and shipping rates to maximize our profits with every purchase order
• Create and maintain strong relationships with our vendors to ensure we are buying at the lowest possible prices.
• Carefully manage inventory to ensure sell-through and appropriate seasonal stock levels.
• Travel to outdoor industry trade shows to learn about new products, buy product, and build positive vendor relationships.
• Maintain positive relationships with internal partners such as warehouse, accounting, marketing, Store Managers, Hiring Manager, etc.
• Collaborate with Location Managers to create and maintain clear and effective merchandising stories on the sales floor at each retail location.
• Constantly train and coach sales associates so they have the skills and product knowledge necessary to create amazing customer experiences.
ANALYSIS (TO INFORM STRATEGY FOR NEXT SEASON):
• With assistance from the Controller and Accounting Department, conduct detailed analysis of category performance at all locations including Web.
• Assess inventory levels throughout the annual retail planning cycle and adjust buying to minimize on-hand inventory.