As a Senior Accountant, you will be responsible for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of our financial statements through activity analysis, account reconciliations, and preparing journal entries. This role is responsible for performing assigned accounting functions for all of Backcountry’s brands. The Senior Accountant will report on and analyze financial results across Backcountry’s suite of ecommerce sites. Ongoing reporting and performing ad hoc analysis as well as other support is required. The Senior Accountant will also assist in budgeting, forecasting and treasury.
ABOUT THE JOB:
• Prepare consolidated internal and external financial statements by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from departments.
• Maintain and balance an automated consolidation system by inputting and verifying data.
• Analyze information and options by developing spreadsheet reports; verifying information.
• Prepare or review general ledger entries by maintaining records and files; reconciling accounts.
• Prepare or review payments by accruing expenses; requesting disbursements; reconciling accounts.
• Substantiate financial transactions by auditing documents and preparing account roll-forwards.
• Maintain financial security by following internal controls.
• Review, design and implement accounting procedures and internal controls by analyzing current procedures and controls; recommending changes.
• Answer accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
• Identify, research, and explain variances of actual performance to forecast.
• Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential.
• Produce accurate financial reports and daily dashboards.
• Build and update financial models and budgets and perform ad hoc data inquiries as needed.
• Work with business intelligence tools to extract relevant data as needed. Work with BI team members to gather data as required.
• Demonstrate working knowledge of concepts and principles of business metrics and analyses, including their application to effective reporting and analysis.
• Responsible for financial storytelling in monthly, quarterly and annual reporting processes.
• Four-year college degree or equivalent experience is required. Master’s degree in Accounting or Business preferred.
• 3 to 5 years of Accounting or Finance experience
• CPA preferred
• Understanding of US GAAP, Reporting, and Accounting principles
• Excellent written (English), verbal (English) and analytical skills; ability to multitask and balance priorities
• Ability to meet tight deadlines, while maintaining accuracy of information and attention to detail
• Intermediate to advanced MS Office Suite skills
• Microsoft Excel & PowerPoint skills required.
• The ability to understand and read financial budgets, reports, models, and data is required.
• Basic understanding of financial reports and preparation of dashboards is required.
• Knowledge and familiarity of NetSuite a plus
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.