In this role, you will lead the Accounting, Tax, Treasury, and Accounts Payables team for Backcountry, and will have deep experience with fast-growing retail companies, the global e-commerce industry, and the capital markets. This leader will have strategic and executional experience leading large Accounting organizations, will be an excellent cross-functional partner, a terrific communicator, and will be able to develop and inspire large teams.
This role will be critical to the creation and execution of a robust internal controls environment designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s financial results, and ensure the reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. This role will also be accountable for the company’s accounting operations and for our effective cash management. This leader will be the key liaison between the company and both our external auditors and banking relationships. They will be pivotal to reporting our results to the executive team and Board of Directors. The VP, Corporate Controller will be a key member of Backcountry’s leadership team, and will report directly to Backcountry’s CFO.
About the Job:
• Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
• Streamline our monthly close processes to ensure accurate and timely financials
• Manage the annual external audit process and ensure a strong internal control environment
• Manage compliance with lenders and credit facilities
• Lead all cash management initiatives
• Work closely with the finance team to provide the senior management team with a full picture of the business and operations across the P&L, Cash Flow and Balance Sheet
• Automate and streamline existing processes including reducing the accounting close timeline
• Lead, inspire, develop, and set direction for the Accounting team
• Support potential M&A activities
• Complete knowledge and understanding of Finance and Accounting processes for a direct to consumer business
• Thorough understanding of and working experience with GAAP including emerging pronouncements that impact our business
• Quantitative decision-making, while balancing qualitative service to customers
• Service oriented approach and mindset
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Consistent record for innovation, execution and delivering results to a performance-driven culture
• Previous experience in Accounting management is required
• 12+ years of related professional experience
• Possess strong interpersonal skills, excellent attention to detail, and strong analytical skills
• Shown ability to work in a fast-paced environment that requires quick thinking and effective multitasking
• Validated ability to multi-task, triage and execute
• Strong attention to detail and specifics
• MBA is preferred, CPA is required
• Audit experience is preferred
ABOUT BACKCOUNTRY:Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.