This role will partner with Product Management, Analysts, Management, Data Scientists and users throughout the business to deliver world-class business intelligence to drive our key goals. The data engineer will design and build reporting and analytics infrastructure from the project start to finish including table design, ETL, reporting structures, metadata, and performance tuning. The ideal candidate must be eager to learn and motivated to support the business in helping them create the metrics to drive key business decisions.
About the Job
• Analyze data schemas and data. Work with the data scientists to define and refine the analytics/reporting consumption layer. Help maintain the star schema model for complex business process.
• Transform requirements into consumable data and/or new report designs in our reporting tools. We currently use Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition with the possibility to start using newer data visualization tools.
• Build efficient, maintainable, and consistent ETL processes.
• Create test cases, support user testing, ensure data integrity.
• Maintaining requirements, project and application documentation as well as providing solution proposals.
• Reviewing and quality assuring outputs, improving or amending design standards and policies as required.
Are you passionate about data? Are you the kind of engineer who loves to produce results quickly to help drive key company initiatives and business decisions? Do you have a passion for the outdoor retail customer and desire to make a direct impact in customer experience through data and analytics? Do you enjoy working on a team that collaborates to challenge each other and improve the work they produce every day?Basic requirements:
• Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Computer Science or Information Systems.
• 2+ years in BI technologies.
• Experience with SQL and SQL scripting for relational databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL or MS SSQL.
• English skills at an intermediate / advanced level (both written and spoken.)
The following will be viewed favorably:
• Collaborating with business analysts and end users
• Designing/developing the analysis/reporting Consumption layer
• BI/Data warehousing domain
• Design of ETL solutions integrating multiple source systems.
• Experience in translating requirements into Dimensional data model design and development.
• Excellent problem solving and quality testing skills.
• Ability to carry out data discrepancy investigation, program debugging, trouble shooting, data investigation.
• Experience using source control systems.
We would be very delighted if you had...
• Experience with Google Cloud Platform tool ecosystem.
• Experience with on-Cloud data platforms such as Databricks or Qubole.
• Experience with Data visualization tools such as Looker or Oracle BI Enterprise Edition (OBIEE).
• Experience working with one of the following programming languages: Java, Python, Scala.
• Experience with Agile methodologies.
• Experience with Talend Data Integration.
• Experience with Big Data technologies: Hadoop, Apache Spark, Impala, Hive
• Experience with different databases and environments - MongoDB, MS SQL Server, AWS, S3, NoSQL, Redshift, other similar.
Backcountry is a portfolio of premium specialty retail brands. We create remarkable customer experiences through the best selection of premium outdoor product, a flawless shopping experience, the expertise of our gearheads, the lightning speed of our fulfillment, and the shared knowledge of our Community. We operate six specialty stores – Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde and SteepandCheap.