The Associate Buyer – Watersports works with the Merchandising team to achieve the financial goals of the following Hard Goods business/categories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assortment Selection: Through experience and industry knowledge, tasked with selection, curation and vendor conversations regarding new brands, categories, and the pricing, overall category/brand mix, and seasonal selection of inventory for the Watersports and other Hardgoods equipment categories.
• Vendor Negotiations: discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, PO compliance and issues management, image use, price-matching, and special/exclusive buys
• PO Management: navigate and format vendor catalogs/product data for SKU/PO worksheet creation, building POs (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout) and ensures on time submission to vendors, timely management of PO edits, past dues and carries out all PO type builds and maintenance (Pre-season, ASAP)
• Promotional Campaigns: Manages and is charge of promotional concepts and performance and helps to set up the promotional cadence for the category. Picks SKU’s/links and reviews all rules pages. QA promo functionality, review and react to performance, and identify risks in promotional calendar.
• Pricing: Works with the Planner to set the Pre-season pricing strategy, in-line/in-Season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manage end of season price-break dates, communicate all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar.
• Inventory Management: Works with the Planner to establish Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, set in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with company-wide financial goals
• Online Merchandising: reviews/optimizes color thumbnail displayed on PLP and Search pages, oversees the boosting/sort order for responsible brands/categories, sets up Cross Sell/Up Sells tools, manages Backorders, review and optimizes site taxonomy and facets, and utilized Kit Calculator as required per category
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• 1-3 years of relevant Industry Merchandising and Buying experience
• Expertise in Wakeboard, Wakesurf, and Watersports strongly preferred.
• Willingness and ability to travel to as needed for tradeshows and events.
• Solid foundation of Retail Math and Buying Fundamentals
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
• Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Outstanding time management skills
• Ability to perform under pressure and prioritize competing tasks/initiatives
ABOUT BACKCOUNTRY:Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.