The Lead Engineer will have all of the required skills of a Senior Engineer as well as a demonstrated ability and desire to lead a team by communicating clearly and a willingness to delegate. You will work closely with other senior members of the team to make architectural decisions and provide mentorship to less experienced engineers on the team.
Roughly three quarters of your time will be dedicated to development. As a Lead Engineer, you will strive to understand the products and processes you are supporting, and demonstrate ownership of those systems, services, and features. You will also partner with the Product Manager to build and groom the backlog, decomposing opportunities into stories and tasks. You will act as an advocate for doing things the right way, but also be realistic and considerate of business needs.
An important responsibility of the Lead Engineer is to support and motivate the team, setting an example of excellence for high quality delivery, and acting according to the principles of servant leadership. In addition, you will provide expertise and leadership for the technical designs of systems and software, define standards for quality, and advocate for Agile methods of execution. The role may also involve directly managing the performance, development, and career growth of other engineers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leadership demonstrated through exceptional work ethic, strong written and verbal communication, and quality developments
• Motivate team members and provide career guidance and mentorship
• Advocate best practices and ensure the team follows solid architectural principles
• Partner with product managers and business stakeholders to solve business problems. This is typically accomplished by understanding business needs, developing a backlog of user stories, estimating work, and guiding the team in delivering solutions
• Collaborate with other teams for architecture reviews
• Foster a sense of ownership within the team to ensure that system failures are rapidly diagnosed and remediated
• Maintain and support our code release process
• Establish, drive, and maintain a culture of metrics and monitoring
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Expert in at least one major OO language, Java or equivalent
• Strong relational database experience - Postgres, Oracle, SQL server, etc.
• Skilled in Object Oriented design (loose coupling, DRY, domain modeling, interfaces, abstraction)
• Passionate about learning unfamiliar technologies -- focus on continuous improvement
• Experience with continuous integration and automated testing frameworks
• Experience with ERP like Netsuite is a big plus.
• Experience with build pipelines and continuous deployment
• Experience with web technologies and frameworks
• Knowledge in the design and implementation of RESTful APIs
• Experience working in an agile/scrum environment
• Minimum English level of 80%
ABOUT BACKCOUNTRY: Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.