The Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for supporting, maintaining, and improving the Backcountry production data infrastructure and systems. You will work closely with Technical Operations SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team, and with various vendors and partners (including hardware vendors, data center and network providers, and ISPs) to maintain and improve our infrastructure.You will further be responsible for the development and implementation of consistent processes and visibility measurements for consistent and effective management of our infrastructure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with internal teams (infrastructure, network engineering and SRE). Create documentation and participate in data center installations and upgrades, migrations, buildout of rack elevations and physical cabling.
• Identify areas in need of automation to make day-to-day operations more streamlined and efficient
• Responsible for management and maintenance of storage, virtualized environment, servers, network devices, and productivity tools.
• Experience supporting and managing scalable AWS cloud environments
• Participate in an on-call rotation and respond to incidents appropriately
• Responsibility for upkeep of the network and system monitoring platform in terms of alerting, reporting, and ensuring it represents valid equipment, links and services.
• Work with various vendors and service providers to ensure productive environment.
• Professionally represent the infrastructure team as a technical consultant on projects.
• Maintain a good working knowledge of current infrastructure and future trends.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Minimum of 3 years similar experience in a similar environment.
• CS degree or equivalent experience required.
• Direct experience executing on data center / infrastructure projects with many moving parts.
• Experience with core infrastructure engineering services – compute, network, storage, database etc.
• Troubleshooting experience tracking down performance, load, networking, I/O utilization, and memory problems
• Demonstrate expertise in virtualization (virtual machines), network engineering (switches, storage area networks), systems engineering (information technology), systems administration (user management, patch management), and configuration management (documentation, software configuration, data stewardship).
• Proficiency with CentOS Linux and Windows Server (2003, 2008, and 2012)
• Previous experience installing / maintaining data center (and other IT) infrastructure.
• Experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other hosted environment.
• Experience running and improving operational processes in a rapidly changing environment.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills.
• Experience working with Pure is a plus.
• Experience with Cisco Telephony is a plus.
• Experience with automation is a plus.