Backcountry is a leading Outdoor ecommerce retailer headquartered in Park City, Utah. We are looking for our newest VP of Fulfillment. In this role, you will be responsible for 2 fulfillment centers domestically, our transportation strategy, leading 400+ employees, and working with 1,500 suppliers. You will deliver great service to our customers, while scaling our volume, processes, and costs. You will be a key member of Backcountry’s leadership team and will report directly to Backcountry’s COO.
The right leader will have deep experience with direct-to-consumer fulfillment and inbound/outbound transportation management. This leader will have strategic and executional experience leading large supply chain organizations, making decisions using data and driving scale/service using automation and technology. This role will provide a platform service to our portfolio of brands in a matrixed environment. The successful leader will balance innovation with execution and be a supportive leader and key partner able to work via influence, across the Merchandising, Finance, and Gearhead (customer service) teams rendering concrete action.
About the Job:
• Develop and execute a holistic supply chain strategy (i.e., fulfillment and transportation) that meets company performance objectives and customer expectations
• Manage multiple teams:
• Fulfillment: Oversee the long-term strategic direction and day-to-day execution of multiple fulfillment centers and their leaders, and develop and implement best practices globally
• Transportation: Develop a global transportation function and expertise that optimizes both inbound and outbound shipping costs across providers to improve service levels and costs
• Develop and implement supply chain management best practices in areas such as systems integration and optimization, inventory control, and demand planning
• Analyze business data and cross-functional inputs to make decisions
• Lead, inspire, develop, and set direction for the US and European teams
• Develop a 3-5 year capacity plan that supports the company’s growth, ensuring the needed warehousing, labor capacity, material handling and ability to scale
• Create a roadmap of processes, capital improvements, and technology projects with supporting ROI that enable and scales the strategy
• Develop an annual budget, operating plan and capital plan
• Lead ongoing process and data automation, working closely with the finance and engineering teams
• Ensure ongoing delivery of our service level to customers and budget and key fulfillment metrics
• Optimize reverse logistic capabilities
• Develop a central transportation function, supporting inbound and outbound logistics and optimizing costs, providers and service levels/times
• Maintain relationships with key outbound and inbound shipping providers (UPS, FedEx, LTL and small parcel providers)
• Work closely with engineering team to develop our shipping optimization logic for service providers, service levels and costs
• Perform inventory management, managing transportation costs and routes, making decisions on warehousing and distribution methods
• Support establishing of new business and supply chain routes/structures
• 10+ years of related professional experience
• Complete knowledge and understanding of Supply Chain processes for a direct to consumer business
• Experience with and ability to make recommendations with Transportation Systems and Warehouse Management Systems
• Quantitative decision-making, while balancing qualitative service to customers
• Service oriented approach and mindset
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Proven track record for innovation, execution and delivering results to a performance-driven culture
• Possess strong interpersonal skills, excellent attention to detail, and strong analytical skills
• Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment that requires quick thinking and effective multitasking.
• Proven ability to multi-task, triage and execute
• BSc/BA in Supply Chain Management or relevant field; MSc/MBA is a plus
• Previous experience in supply chain management is preferred
• Experience with the lean process or an equivalent is a plus
• APICS & Six Sigma certifications is a plus
Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.