POSITION TITLE: Buyer – Women's
REPORTS TO: Merchandise Manager, Apparel
LOCATION: Park City, UT
Our Backcountry Buyers are responsible for achieving the financial goals within their Merchandise Division (MD). We empower you to set and implement a purchase plan which allows us to exceed all financial goals. If you want a fast-paced work environment with the opportunity to buy the gear you love, this could be your dream job!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assortment Selection: Category and brand mix planning, seasonal selection of inventory for Women's Apparel categories
• Vendor Negotiations: Discounts, terms, pricing policies, promotional periods, image use, price-matching, and special/exclusive buys
• PO Management: Marks vendor catalogs for SKU/PO worksheet creation, building POs (Qty/Dollar/Style Allocation, Size/Color Breakout) and ensures on time submission to vendors, timely management of PO edits, and carries out all PO type builds and maintenance (Pre-season, ASAP, etc)
• Promotions: Brainstorming/hind-sighting Promo concepts and performance, identifying types of promotions and building calendar with marketing, picking SKU’s/links and editing rules pages, reviewing and providing Creative briefs, review, QA and approve functionality, review and react to performance, and identifying risks in promotional calendar and building back-ups
• Pricing: Works with Planner to set Pre-season pricing strategy, sets in-line/in-Season pricing (promo periods, price matching, promotional calendar management), manages end of season price-break dates, communicates all in-season and end of season price breaks to marketing team and is responsible for assignment to the promotional calendar
• Inventory Management: manages the Open to Buy (OTB), hind sighting SKU/Category performance, establishing Preseason PO Receipt Flow, Preseason inventory allocation, set in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, moving aged and toxic inventory, manages Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with Companywide financial goals
• Business Management: Owns revenue, margin, inventory, receipt flow, and in-stocks levels for their area
• Team Management: Ensures utilization and development of Assistant/Associate Buyer(s), works closely with Planning partner and broader team to ensure all initiatives and goals are met
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• 3-5 years of relevant Industry Merchandising and Buying experience
• Firm understanding of Retail Math and Fundamentals
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (proficiency in Excel a must)
• Excellent organizational skills and extreme attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong analytical skills
• Outstanding time management skills: ability to meet deadlines and exercise judgement under pressure
ABOUT BACKCOUNTRY:Our mission is to connect people to their passions. Our five online stores—Backcountry, Competitive Cyclist, MotoSport, Bergfreunde, and SteepandCheap—aim to supply our customers with the gear, knowledge, and inspiration necessary to get out there and chase down life’s greatest moments. We do this by providing the biggest and best assortment of premium outdoor products, a superior shopping experience, personalized Gearhead expertise, lightning-fast and accurate fulfillment, and inspirational, informative, and community-centered content.
We take this concept seriously, both personally and professionally, which for employees translates to careers with growth potential and the ability to take ownership and make an impact daily. Perks such as an excellent gear discount, an annual summer Adventure Contest, summer barbecues, and a pet-friendly office make for a fun work environment. Backcountry employees will have the benefit of working with colleagues who are passionate about their careers as well as the outdoors. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and disability & life insurance, paid maternity and paternity leave, 401(k) matching, and Flexible Spending or Health Savings Accounts.