Director, Customer Insights & Data Science
Posted Date: Aug-24-2020
Job ID: 18078
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Greater Seattle Area
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by contributes to REI’s success by bringing the most relevant customer learnings and insight to the forefront; highlighting what makes a difference to our members. Whether looking at existing data to extract insights and learnings or nodding to the future of derived and predictive analytics, you’re a leader who gets excited about data and the power it unleashes to help an organization ideate, evolve and grow.
This role will own and drive the strategy and vision for Customer Analytics at REI. Leading multiple teams, you will design and execute a structure that supports both the ability to unearth actionable insights that drive and support corporate and divisional strategies, as well as develop and refine our ability to understand and deliver increased relevance with our 5.8 million Coop members. You will lead a brain-trust that helps business partners understand existing, and develop new, opportunities to connect with members based on relevant perspective found in existing data sources.
Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
This role will play a key leadership role in defining and building capabilities to leverage our deep data assets and drive actionable customer understanding that informs and grows our business. Leveraging data to understand consumer behavior and drive strategic recommendations will be of equal importance to building out REI’s Advanced Analytics team, focusing efforts on methodologies and processes designed to drive profitable growth (via acquisition, retention, and wallet share growth).
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
• Lead REI in new directions by deliver analytical insights and implications through the customer lens; provides a foundation for corporate and divisional strategy development.
• Lead a team of analytical professionals – including Sr. Statistical Analysts and Data Scientists – focusing on both driving business results as well as employee mentoring and personal growth.
• Develop a strategic framework to deliver advanced analytical and data mining solutions to understand key business behaviors such as customer acquisition, cross-sell, member retention, lifetime value, channel preferences, member loyalty, and shopping behavior.
• As the Customer Data Warehouse business owner, you will define data sources, metrics, dimensions, and dashboards to facilitate inquiry, analysis and reporting; collaborating IT to ensure data hygiene and data integration across sources.
• Develop and implement roadmap for data mining and quantitative methods to advance customer segmentation, persona development, customer retention marketing strategies, marketing mix modeling, audience optimization efforts and other key business applications.
• Partner with cross-functional leaders to leverage customer intelligence to drive and optimize marketing programs, and online and in-store experiences.
• Engage and influence C-Level executives & Divisional leaders with strategic recommendations based on customer analytics.
• Lead and implement development of customer centric benchmarks including leading and lagging KPI’s.
• Key leader in Customer Insights management team, supporting the integration of efforts in Customer Analytics, Customer Research, Competitive Intelligence, Program Analytics, Advanced Analytics and Marketing Planning.
Bring your passion and expertise
• BS/BA required, preferred undergraduate degree in marketing, business, and/or mathematics. Masters/MBA preferred.
• 10+ years of work experience in customer or advanced analytics – retail or longitudinal business model experience preferred
• Experience with enterprise data management platforms like Netezza/Teradata, familiarity with big data platforms like Hadoop a plus. Skilled with analytical tools like SAS, SQL and data-visualization tools such as Business Objects, Tableau.
• Comfortable and effective when interfacing with senior executives. Strong ability to understand business problems and translate to analytical initiatives
• Proven success in driving cross-divisional analytical bodies of work, with multiple constituents and competing agendas.
• Strong time management and prioritization skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills, with emphasis on data visualization skills. Ability to synthesize findings into essential insights and communicate them effectively to senior management.
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
• Establishes trust and inspires others.
• Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
• Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Fosters change in company direction.
• Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where y