Manager - IT Quality Assurance
Posted Date: May-10-2021
Job ID: 20107
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by owning the software quality assurance service(s) at REI, managing software quality assurance teams assigned to provide testing services to the development, maintenance or enhancement of applications utilized by REI’s internal and external customers. Collaborates and strategizes with portfolio owners and their development managers to establish practices that enable the delivery of high-quality software at a pace that meets customer’s demands. Promotes innovation to drive operational efficiency in the support of initiatives aimed to drive the business forward. Provides direction to project teams, establishes work priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure that technology contributes to achievement of the division’s business objectives. Contributes to departmental strategies, defines and enforces policies and standards. Ensures team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations. Maintains a high quality of products and services to help preserve REIs competitive advantage. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
• Owns service design, implementation and operation for the quality assurance services delivered to the rest of IT
• Manages the processes and people to ensure quality products meets defined business requirements and design specifications.
• Manages quality assurance teams to ensure the development of systems and processes meet REIs quality assurance standards across the software development lifecycle.
• Creates, analyzes, and publishes relevant quality metrics and measures across teams to communicate application and release quality, and to address technical debt, risks, and other quality issues.
• Guides the development of test strategies and automation plans within Agile and Waterfall development methodologies utilizing open source or commercial automation tools, packages as applicable.
• Ensures that the quality engineering discipline builds and utilizes robust, scalable test frameworks
• Champions performance testing strategy and execution across all enterprise applications
• Partners with cross-functional management teams to establish and deliver upon strategies for the Continuous Delivery development model.
• Promotes the adoption of Test Driven Development and Behavior Driven Development software processes, promoting high-functioning applications through robust comprehensive test coverage.
• Provides quality assurance strategy for enterprise package solutions. Works closely with the vendor, development services manager, systems manager, and project manager to incorporate sound test methodologies and best practices into the quality assurance environment. Drives the discovery and adoption of new methodologies using effective communications and training of staff.
• Provides leadership to validate technical requirements; ensure testability and traceability of new systems; and ensure successful generation and utilization of automation/performance test cases, scripts and plans.
• Collaborates with Project Management Office to manage the progress of development projects in process. Monitors performance of assigned quality assurance assignments to ensure they are completed on time and within budget.
• Collaborates and coordinates with other Information Technology (IT) departments regarding quality assurance deliverables, disciplines on overall test plans, including user acceptance, performance and regression testing, to ensure successful transition and system reliability of developed systems into the enterprise.
• Ensures delivery of documentation of test results and corrective actions, including recommendations to improve quality and reliability of systems. Ensures defect management using quality assurance tools.
• Provides strategic direction for quality assurance. Researches, evaluates and recommends selection of software testing products, automation and performance processes and methodologies to improve the quality and efficiencies of the quality assurance deliverables, staff, and systems.
• Contributes to division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
• Participates in change management planning for the transition and integration of new systems. Ensures adequate documentation of program development and operating instructions.
• Drives business areas in identifying current and future quality assurance services needs.
• Collaborates with other department leaders to identify business needs; plan, schedule, and coordinate work; and ensure integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
• Communicates with team regarding policies and procedures, projects and activities in other groups.
• Guides the team in the analysis of business requests and needs to ensure low-cost operation and effective utilization of staff and equipment.
• Follows the governance process for technology projects, ensuring that project goals and decisions are based upon business priorities.
• Creates and maintains staffing plans as well as resource forecasting. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload, both from an internal staffing and outsourcing standpoint. Makes recommendations to management regarding long-term contractors and/or additions to staff.
• Prepares budget recommendations for staffing needs, costs of equipment and tools, maintenance, and future projects.
• Provides senior management with accurate, timely and relevant information about the status of projects, personnel and activities within the team.
• Performs basic line supervision,