Associate Project Manager, Business Operations
Posted Date: May- 6-2021
Job ID: 20067
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by concurrently managing small to medium, short-term business operations projects in support of REI’s technology function. Using project management skills such as collaboration, problem solving, influencing, and facilitating, the Associate Project Manager, Business Operations will be responsible for successfully executing all elements of assigned projects in a matrixed environment.
As a member of the IT Planning + Business Operations Team, the person in this role will also partner with other team members in support of ongoing IT business operations. This includes supporting services such as workforce planning, financial stewardship, community and culture development, vendor operations, governance, and quarterly planning. The person in this role brings a continuous improvement mindset to all they do. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Concurrently manages multiple small to medium projects. Projects managed by the individual in this role will be focused on a variety of business operations functions.
• Determines project approach and best method to achieve desired outcomes; e.g. Scrum, Kanban, waterfall.
• Succinctly defines problem or opportunity, success criteria, metrics, and scope.
• Depending on project method, may plan the project, schedule, and sequencing in detail, or establish a backlog and sprint schedule. Collects estimates and develops project budget (when required).
• Works with manager to identify and recruit project team members. Organizes the project team, establishes communication and collaboration methods, conducts kick off, assigns work, and manages successful execution to on-time completion.
• Establishes methods to measure project progress and outcomes. Creates a communication plan to make sure all stakeholder information needs are met. Communicates status to stakeholders.
• Effectively manages risks, anticipating issues with a plan ready to address them quickly when they arise.
• Leads project retrospectives and any subsequent follow up activities.
• Collaborates with other members of IT Planning + Business Operations as assigned to provide and continuously improve business operations services.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
• 1+ years experience managing small to medium projects, preferably with a business operations focus.
• 1+ years building and leading teams.
• Experience working with structured project management and/or delivery methodologies preferred.
• Experience supporting a business operations function preferred.
• Practical experience in project management core functions; planning, managing, executing, risk management, communications.
• Ability to influence and lead a team of cross-functional resources to accomplish shared objectives.
• Skilled at communication, both written and verbal, to a variety of audiences, including executives.
• Excellent follow through and attention to details.
• Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of shared objectives.
• Continuously looks for opportunities to improve and remove process waste.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems.
• Elicits and consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Works smart by setting effective goals, establishing priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search