Posted Date: May- 5-2021
Job ID: 20039
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
Reporting to and working alongside the proofreading lead, the proofreader aims to ensure all marketing copy is accurate, is grammatically correct, and meets REI style guide and legal standards. The length and type of copy runs the gamut—we review social posts, long-form articles, signs, emails, catalogs, CEO statements, employee communications and more. Knowledge of social media platforms and The Associated Press Stylebook are a plus. You must have a love of detail (yes, we do read fine print) and style consistency. Top candidates will have a process-improvement mindset, the ability to communicate respectfully with colleagues and the skills to navigate ambiguous workflows.
In this role, the proofreader is expected to:?
• Proofread copy to ensure it reflects the REI brand, accurate information, company strategy and project strategy
• Ensure marketing materials comply with legal requirements
• Support the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages
• Copy edit and proofread long-form articles (Expert Advice and Co-op Journal) as time allows
• Uphold the REI Master Brand Copy Guide and AP style
• Consolidate information from various sources while considering the impact on internal and external customers to make sound decisions
• Challenge the status quo, champion good change and influence others to change
• Occasionally support the product copy team by writing product page copy or product-related in-store signage
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or Marketing preferred
• 3–5 years’ experience in proofreading, copy editing, editing or copywriting
• Proven ability to edit and proofread copy in AP style
• Proven attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Demonstrated understanding of the outdoor activities, gear and customer base REI supports
• Demonstrated understanding of social media functions in the following platforms: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
• Willingness to work flexible schedules to meet deadlines
• Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks and prioritize well
• Demonstrated initiative and innovation utilizing a proactive, team-oriented approach
• Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop) preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
To apply, please?submit a cover letter?along with your résumé. You may either include the letter as an additional page in your résumé PDF or upload it separately.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search