Supervisor, Adventure Center Operations - Scottsdale, AZ
Posted Date: Jun- 8-2021
Job ID: 20421
Job Function: Outdoor Education
Store: Scottsdale Adventure Center
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading and managing the successful planning, execution and growth of day, multi-day and rental facility operations at an Adventure Center. The Adventure Center Operations Supervisor oversees the day-to-day operations employees, scheduling of staff, resource allocation, and execution of warehouse operations at an Adventure Center. Some additional responsibilities include: primary Adventure Center facility management, inventory planning for rentals, day tour and multi-day tours, budget tracking, hiring, training and recruitment of a high functioning support team for all tour and rental production. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”)
• Identify and communicate key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Support the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenge and inspire employees to achieve business results.
• Ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversee training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and make effective staffing decisions.
• Conduct and ensure the completion of performance reviews.
• Provide coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establish and maintain visibility within the department.
• Monitor operational and sales statistics, report trends, variances, issues, and take appropriate action
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
• Supervises an Adventure Center Operations team to ensure quality program, event, service delivery alongside meeting budget goals for an on-demand 7-day-a-week business.
• Available to solve complex real time operational issues that arise regularly in the experiences business, often outside of day/weekday hours.
• Manages tour and rental operations staff.
• Manages payroll, scheduling and approvals for the warehouse operations and rentals team
• Oversees and ensures the vehicle and equipment allocation for rentals and tours.
• Manages all aspects of local operations budgeting planning (vehiciles, staff, equipment, facility) for the local market.
• Responsible for bicycle and equipment inventory planning in support of day tours, rentals and multi-day tour needs within region of support
• Negotiate terms of relationships and ensures compliance with contracts, permits, sponsorships, and agreements, etc.
• Manages compliance and resolves issues related to local operational risk management.
• Manages operations team expansion in alignment with company expansion.
• Collaborates with Experiences leadership to ensure our operations meet customer needs and are integrated with the retail stores.
• Ensures operational consistency with other market and Adventure Center programs.
• Collaborate with Adventure Center Supervisors to ensure seamless delivery of services to the customer and employee.
• Provide responsive information and operational flexibility to accommodate situational variability
Bring your passion and expertise
• 2+ years experience with tour and rentals operations management or equivalent
• 4+ years experience with local guided tours and event production
• 2+ years experience managing bike shop operations
• 1+ years leadership or management experience
• Strong organizational, customer service, and logistics support skills
• High competency in written and verbal communications
• Competence with operational systems and Office software
• Ability to understand risk prevention and management
• Ability to multitask without decreased attention to detail
• Competence in time management
• High attention to detail and organization
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
• Establishes trust and inspires others.
• Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
• Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Fosters change in company direction.
• Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search