Senior Manager, Science Engineering
Posted Date: Jul-26-2021
Job ID: 20722
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This data engineering senior position is a critical enablement role for our Center of Excellence Analytics, Data Science, Operations Research and Experimentation practices here at REI, as it will help us to build and test our models and optimizations rapidly, deliver analyses and insights to our commitments and grow our capabilities across the domain using best in class engineering and Cloud architecture solutions.
To succeed, this role will interface closely with our Business Intelligence Engineering partners in IT who are accountable for the robust operational health, security and productionalization of our Machine Learning models and data products at scale. Science engineering’s success will rely on rapid iterations, POCs and experiments that challenge our thinking and assumptions. This leader will own the 3-year strategy and Science Technical Roadmap as well as its integration with the IT roadmaps. Ensuring alignment with the Business Quarterly Planning priorities, alongside our Sr. PM for Analytics, Practice Managers and our Principal Scientists is essential.
As a senior leader, this role will help to develop and mentor junior engineers along their career path. In such a fast-paced and ever-changing space, we need to build adaptability, learning and empathy into our culture and practices and we look to our experts to help us design and deliver on these needs. Weekly 1:1s with direct reports, skip-levels, brown-bags, retrospectives … all will be critical goals for this leader as they develop our internal talent and set expectation with our 3rd party vendors.
• Develops a deep understanding of the Coop’s architectures, systems, platforms and disparate technologies and is able to apply their technical expertise along all of these dimensions to deliver at speed, scale and value in current state.
• Looks for opportunities to create scaled value where gaps exist in current architecture and solutions as we develop the future state science and analytics solutions for Machine Learning, simulations, experimentation, optimization and neural networks.
• Implements rapid solutions for Cloud-based machine learning, A/B, A/Bn, MVTs, and Open-Sources/Proprietary tools for Operations Research (etc.)
• Drives investments in additional engineering resources using sound analytical aptitude and financial reasoning to drive incremental and scaled value for the Science COE and its stakeholders.
• Leads by example and delivers change by simplifying complex problems through the use of Cloud Platform technology solutions.
• Has an invention mindset and thinks about the Coop’s members, customers, employees the environment and societal impact when considering the engineering, technology and solution architectures that will scale our impact for the better.
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience.
• 5+ years supervisory experience in the information technology field and the ability to direct technical work teams.
• 5+ years experience in information technology, including leading teams in business partner planning, systems analysis, software or infrastructure engineering.
• 5+ years experience in software development.
• 5+ years experience planning, organizing and directing systems development projects.
• Experience developing long-term technology strategies.
• Experience managing multiple project teams, developing team-level plans and contributing to annual budgets.
• Experience in managing business portfolio, capital and expense investments.
• Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business.
• Knowledge of methodologies, standards, procedures and organization that contribute to the development and deployment of technology solutions.
• Systems analysis and design skills.
• Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
• Experience with directing/managing projects with various delivery methodologies such as waterfall, scrum and Kanban.
• Experience with structured project life cycle, systems development management tools and service management methodologies such as Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
• Ability to manage customer and vendor relationships.
• Ability to work collaboratively and across divisions.
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search