Network Security Engineer
Posted Date: Aug-18-2021
Job ID: 20997
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
Being a Network Security Engineer, you will contribute to REI’s success by leading the design, development and implementation of enterprise-wide network and security infrastructure plans.
• Conducts feasibility studies on strategic and tactical plans for development of new network or security systems to meet current and projected business needs. Evaluates the costs and benefits of proposed and existing Wide Area Network (WAN) services, Local Area Network (LAN) services, Load Balancing services, Firewall services, Security Inspection services, Public/Hybrid Cloud or Internet services. Makes recommendations to Information Technology management.
• Performs technical analysis and leads the design architecture of network or security plans for the enterprise. Analyzes network or security requirements of the business and architects solutions that will include highly available and resilient designs.
• Expert in Network, Cloud, and Cyber security disciplines, including NAC, SASE, SDNS, and data encryption
• Installs, upgrades and maintains network or security hardware, operating system and software as needed leveraging automation where feasible.
• Oversees complex infrastructure network or security projects, including planning, resource assignment and monitoring.
• Monitors network system state in compliance with current capacity plan guidelines. Monitors network services budgets, including reviewing invoices from service providers for usage, errors and inconsistencies, and making adjustments where feasible.
• Performs complex incident management and problem resolution for network and security systems. Collaborates with Information Technology staff and business personnel in the creation and turnover of solutions for production-level operations.
• Acts as a source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced department staff.
Bring your passion and expertise
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
5+ years engineering experience or equivalent industry knowledge.
Advanced knowledge of current company Wide Area Network (WAN) or security environments.
Expertise in multiple network or security systems and network management products.
Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
Experience creating and implementing strategies for complex systems.
Ability in all phases of technical writing for information or infrastructure systems.
Advanced knowledge and proficiency in network or security systems design, implementation and support.
Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search