Lead Systems Engineer
Posted Date: Aug-17-2021
Job ID: 21065
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
At REI our core mission is to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship. If you love the outdoors and contributing to a solid, forward-leaning team, then this is your role! Come join Merch IT and Co-Op Brands as we build the systems that that power the products in REI’s Digital and Retail Stores!
REI IT needs a seasoned Systems Engineer to help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly evolving Co-op Brands landscape. We are looking for somebody with deep experience in installing, configuring, testing and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools. If you are a self-starter with a strong sense of curiosity who loves to problem-solve and get a sense of accomplishment from a well-running system, then we should talk.
What kinds of things will you do in this role (besides have fun)? Things like this:
• Manage and monitor all installed systems and infrastructure for Co-op Brands• Install, configure, test and maintain application software and system management tools• Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability• Monitor and test application performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes• Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies• Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks• Provide 2nd and 3rd level support (at times outside of normal business hours)• Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
But wait, what's Co-op Brands? Great question! When you go into REI and see the products with the REI label, well, those were designed and created by REI. We own the systems that help Co-op Brands design and make those products. How cool is that!?!
If you think that sounds fun, we haven't even started to talk about life at REI! That was just the "work" part. Imagine a world where people are happy to come to work, where everybody is talking about their latest outdoor adventure, where people are supportive, get a Yay Day when they want to go play, where boxes are delivered daily (to your house now) with deep pro-deal discounts on the coolest gear, and where a retailer closes its doors on Black Friday in an effort to get everybody to #OptOutside. That's not a magical unicorn, my friend. That's REI.
Come play with us!
Bring your passion and expertise
What are the things that will make you stand out from the crowd? Things like this:
• The desire to build cool stuff
• Forward-leaning change agent with the desire to improve both tech and processes
• Out-of-the-box thinker with the ability to create proofs-of-concept to help drive innovation
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience
• At least 5 years of System Engineering experience with large-scale applications
• Experience with a combination of on-prem, AWS, and pure SaaS
• Be a team player who works hard and knows how to have fun
• A Multitasker who has strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
• Solid scripting skills (e.g., PowerShell, Perl, or Python)
• Proficiency with database platforms such as Microsoft SQL server, Oracle, MySQL, etc.
• Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks
• Solid networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP)
• Experience with monitoring systems
• A quick study and willing to learn new technologies, development languages, and systems
• Great collaborator who brings ideas, can respectfully challenge others, and always has the customer in mind
Why you'll love it here:
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search