Lead Software Engineer, Content Authoring
Posted Date: Aug-13-2021
Job ID: 20640
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI is seeking a Lead Engineer for our new Content Authoring and Tagging team. The ideal candidate will excel at work in an agile, highly collaborative environment, quickly diagnose and adapt when issues arise or potential issues are seen, and can interact with multiple code bases to arrive at a finished product.
The goal of this new team is to continue working on a way to dynamically author and tag content, based on input from business users and automation. This role will also be able to quickly ramp up knowledge and participate in fact-finding with business partners to establish a working and agreeable roadmap. Experience working with both customer-facing systems as well as content management systems are highly desirable for this role.?
This role will have an influence on both technical roadmap, as well as hiring of a team to accomplish the collaborative goals of both IT and Digital Retail at REI.
• Acts as a technical lead or consultant on all projects including highly complex projects. Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems on multiple projects.
• Can resolve ambiguity and bring technical and non-technical audiences along throughout demos and presentations.
• Help the business realize their goal of delivering well architected content models and strategies for enabling the COPE model of publishing (Create Once Publish Everywhere)
• Is well versed in front end, or back end coding and can speak to the non-dominant language while understanding architectural models and utilizing expertise areas to inform.
• Collaborates closely with technology and product leadership, Site Reliability, QA, and other Product teams to orchestrate medium to large scale development efforts.
• Helps technical managers refine the hiring process, participates in hiring activities, and helps to onboard new team members.
• Strong ability to work in a close-knit, collaborative team environment.
• Promotes culture of learning, collaboration and continuous improvement.
• Provides technical guidance to ensure implemented solutions are working effectively and proposed solutions will meet organization’s future needs.
• Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications, working on highly complex work tasks or project assignments.
• Gathers, analyzes and translates business and non-functional requirements into a solution design.
• Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current architecture principles, development and project management methodologies and practices. Conducts technical walkthroughs with software engineers to ensure technical feasibility and standards across teams.
• Formulates systems scope and objectives and resolves highly complex technical issues.
• Provides leadership to ensure that application changes follow change management policies and procedures.
• Acts as a mentor and source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
• Ability to set effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
• Participates in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement in support of business and customer experience.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
• Experience with unit testing such as JUnit, performance and automation testing.
• Microservices experience in a CI/CD environment, using tools such as Jenkins.
• Experience with roadmapping and determining the output to solve needs of an ambiguous problem area.
• 2+ years as a team leader or a principal engineer.
• Advanced knowledge and proficiency with systems, processes and development, or technical disciplines in a specific field.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search