Software Engineer Lead
Posted Date: Aug- 3-2021
Job ID: 20830
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
We currently have an exciting opportunity to join our Experiences agile team as a Software Engineer Lead. This team builds and maintains the systems at the core of delivering on our mission to "inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship". Experiences offerings include instructor-led classes and events, guided day and multi-day trips, group outings, gear rentals and more all centered around a variety of outdoor activities (camping, hiking, running, stewardship, water sports, snow sports and many others). We're on a mission to revolutionize our customer experience by making our digital offerings seamless and painless while decreasing the time it takes to meet up, gear up and get outside. We've set some lofty goals and the challenges that lie ahead are many and diverse but staying true to our values in action - "we go further together". We invite you to join us on our journey. Bring your passion, curiosity and respect for your fellow humans and join a talented team focused on making our Experiences offerings among the best on the planet.
• Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems on multiple projects.
• Collaborates closely with technology and product leadership, Site Reliability, QA, and other Product teams to orchestrate medium to large scale development efforts
• Promotes culture of learning, collaboration and continuous improvement.
• Provides technical guidance to ensure implemented solutions are working effectively and proposed solutions will meet organization’s future needs.
• Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications, working on highly complex work tasks or project assignments.
• Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current architecture principles, development and project management methodologies and practices.
• Formulates systems scope and objectives and resolves highly complex technical issues.
• Ensures that application changes follow change management policies and procedures.
• Acts as a mentor and source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
• Ability to set effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Helps technical managers refine the hiring process, participates in hiring activities, and helps to onboard new team members.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
• Participates in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement in support of business and customer experience
Bring your passion and expertise
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
8+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications as a Java backend engineer with extensive Spring Boot, REST, JMS and Kafka messaging and Hibernate (or other JPA) experience.
Familiar with Build Tools- i.e. Maven, Gradle, Ant
Relational Databases - Experience with at least one of the following Oracle, IBM DB2, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL
Microservices experience in a CI/CD environment, using tools such as Jenkins.
Enterprise logging solutions - i.e. Kibana, Splunk
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search