Sr. Full Stack Software Engineer
Posted Date: Aug- 3-2021
Job ID: 20849
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI is seeking a Sr. Full Stack Engineer for several REI.com Customer Experience teams. The ideal candidate will excel at work in an agile, highly collaborative environment, quickly respond to customer issues, and build/enhance customer facing capabilities. Some of the goals of these teams are to enable seamless customer experiences with buying used gear, interaction with dynamic content such as videos/films, and engaging in our digital community forum. An entrepreneurial mindset, a passion for understanding customer needs and ability to quickly adapt to customer and business feedback are crucial for this role. Experience working with both customer-facing systems as well as back-end systems are highly desirable for this role.
• Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems on multiple projects.
• Collaborates closely with technology and product leadership, Site Reliability, QA, and other Product teams to orchestrate medium to large scale development efforts
• Promotes culture of learning, collaboration and continuous improvement.
• Provides technical guidance to ensure implemented solutions are working effectively and proposed solutions will meet organization’s future needs.
• Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, documents and maintains applications, working on highly complex work tasks or project assignments.
• Designs, develops to specifications and maintains application code in accordance with the current architecture principles, development and project management methodologies and practices.
• Formulates systems scope and objectives and resolves highly complex technical issues.
• Ensures that application changes follow change management policies and procedures.
• Acts as a mentor and source for direction, training and guidance for less experienced departmental staff.
• Ability to set effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Helps technical managers refine the hiring process, participates in hiring activities, and helps to onboard new team members.
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
• Participates in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement in support of business and customer experience
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
• Experience using CSS preprocessors and an ability to discuss their strengths and weaknesses (we use Less and Sass)
• Cross-browser and cross-platform design and testing experience in manual debugging and automated tooling (we use Babel for cross-browser transpilation)
• Experience with AJAX/ES6 Fetch techniques, as well JSON and XML to consume back end experience for complex web apps
• Experience with version control via git
• 5+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications as a Java backend engineer with extensive Spring Boot, REST, Oracle DB, Mongo DB/No SQL DB, JMS and Kafka messaging and Hibernate (or other JPA) experience.
• Experience with unit testing such as JUnit, performance and automation testing.
• Microservices experience in a CI/CD environment, using tools such as Jenkins.
• Experience with reverse-engineering large, complex “monolith” systems of legacy code is highly desirable.
• Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) eCommerce company is preferred.
• Advanced knowledge and proficiency with systems, processes and development, or technical disciplines in a specific field.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search