Design Engineering Manager, Cycle
Posted Date: Aug-30-2021
Job ID: 21319
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by performing as a functional leader and key member of the Co-op Cycles management team. This role sets strategy for the design engineering team in close partnership with leadership and other functions, plans effectively and successfully delivers the respective annual goals set.
Leads the Design Engineering functional area and team to reliably develop and engineer product to meet design intent, quality, margin and timeline expectations; directs across a multi-season viewpoint. Oversight of new product development and product readiness for all cycle categories, accountable for decisions affecting production readiness, manufacturability and performance. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
• Develops, implements and manages multi-seasonal design engineering strategy for respective cycle categories to fully express a world class product and brand story.
• Details, monitors and ensures compliance to seasonal timeline milestones, recommends changes for milestones as needed.
• Defines and Implements practices consistent with industry best practice or REI SOP. Identifies, develops and executes on opportunities for process improvement at team level.
• Contributes to on-going requirements identification and development of systems to support the product function.
• Ensures department level deliverables align with Product Research, Testing and Quality strategy, collaborates with cross functional Product Research, Testing and Quality support team.
• Implements organizational structure and succession plan at team level.
• Ensure organizational efficiency through effective motivation, delegation and proper coaching/ development of the functional team.
• Ensure that the design engineering function implements required product standards for all respective cycle categories to support the Division’s product strategy.
• Ensure continuous product and process improvement with emphasis on quality engineering and completion of products in accordance with the operating calendar.
• Ensure all relevant engineering and production documents are created, filed, and communicated to the respective parties within the given deadlines. Ensures proper change management as necessary.
• Monitor and continuously improves workload and organizational efficiency with the support of IT-systems, data and analysis.
• Allocate/delegate the different products/projects to the respective design engineers, considering experience, product complexity and workload.
• Build up and develops the team (objective setting, assessments, training, development) and fosters productive cross-category cooperation with the other key managers/relationships.
• Manage budgets in a timely and accurate manner.
Bring your passion and expertise
• 10+ years product development experience
• 3+ years management experience
• Bachelor’s Degree, preferable in engineering, or manufacturing
• Competency in solid and surface modeling using parametric CAD; ability to read, create and revise drawings
• Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals and ability to implement engineering best-practices
• Strong knowledge of product development processes including design, manufacturing and sourcing, preferably with Asian based production
• Strong project planning and project management skills, ability to develop and manage multiple timelines and deadlines
• Experience with Product Data Management systems
• Ability to develop team capacity in organization, efficiency, attention to detail
• Ability to work effectively cross functionally with department leaders to develop and tune shared business processes
• Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
• Establishes trust and inspires others
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search