Senior Operations Research Scientist
Posted Date: Sep- 1-2021
Job ID: 21106
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
REI’s Enterprise Data Science team is seeking a Senior Operations Researcher with deep experience using Data Science and Optimization approaches to solve complicated optimization problems across the organization such as Demand Forecasting, Transportation/Last-Mile, Network Design, Simulation and Revenue Management to name just a few.
This role will analyze REI’s multi-channel supply chain end-to-end, identifying the biggest opportunities developing plans for system-wide optimization of cost, throughput, and customer experience to the benefit of our members and society. This is a unique opportunity to have a major impact on REI’s bottom line and continued success helping people get outside while improving our environmental and social mission!
• Provide strategic thought leadership for the subject of supply chain optimization. Significant influence into strategy and cross-team impacts
• Engage broadly with the business and operational leaders to frame, structure, and prioritize optimization across our multi-channel retail supply chain
• Perform large-scale statistical research, analysis, Data Science, and modeling across various phases of the Supply Chain -- from Forecasting and allocation through last-mile delivery
• Design and deliver optimization algorithms and science-driven data products, working with colleagues to develop and deploy software as is feasible and solves critical business problems
• Work within a close-knit team of Supply Chain Data Scientists and analysts providing mentorship, subject area expertise, learning and inspiration to the group
• Build sophisticated simulations that will enable business leaders to make trade-off decisions given the constraints
Bring your passion and expertise
The ideal candidate is a creative and passionate problem-solver who thinks big, understands the details, acts quickly, and is motivated to develop new approaches to optimizing REI’s business using operations research, machine learning methods, and cutting-edge technology, tools, and platforms. We are looking for someone with strong experience solving difficult supply chain and fulfillment optimization problems in large scale retail or manufacturing environments. You should have a track record of delivering real improvements in previous roles, and a solid understanding of the downstream consequences that upstream process changes can have. • MS or PhD. in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics
• 5+ years’ experience implementing large scale end-to-end supply chain optimization programs
• Experience working with raw and prepared data sources in a variety of RDBMS systems (oracle, TeraData, Redshift etc) and NoSQL environments such as Hadoop, Spark, Athena
• Fluency with simulations, statistical and machine learning algorithms such as decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.
• Knowledge of and experience working within cloud computing environments such as AWS, Azure, GCP
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to successfully communicate ideas and sell strategic plans to senior executives while influencing adoption and successful implementation
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search