Sr. Manager, QA
Posted Date: Sep- 9-2021
Job ID: 21433
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Sr Manager, IT QA contributes to REI’s success by owning the software quality assurance service(s) at REI, managing software quality assurance teams assigned to provide testing services to the development, maintenance or enhancement of applications utilized by REI’s internal and external customers.
As a member of leadership, you will:
• Identify and communicates key responsibilities and practices.
• Support the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Ensure employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversee training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed; make effective staffing decisions.
• Conduct and ensure the completion of performance reviews.
• Provide coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees.
• Monitor operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Other responsibilities include:
• Collaborate and strategize with portfolio owners and their development managers to establish practices that enable the delivery of high-quality software at a pace that meets customer’s demands.
• Promote innovation to drive operational efficiency.
• Provide direction to project teams, establishes work priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions.
• Contribute to departmental strategies, define and enforce policies and standards.
• Ensure team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations.
• Maintain a high quality of products and services to help preserve REIs competitive advantage.
• Own service design, implementation and operation for the quality assurance services delivered to the rest of IT
• Manage the processes and people to ensure quality products meets defined business requirements and design specifications.
• Manage quality assurance teams to ensure the development of systems and processes meet REIs quality assurance standards across the software development lifecycle.
• Create, analyze, and publish relevant quality metrics and measures across teams to communicate application and release quality, and to address technical debt, risks, and other quality issues.
• Guide the development of test strategies and front end automation plans within Agile and Waterfall development methodologies utilizing open source or commercial automation tools, packages as applicable.
• Ensure that the quality engineering discipline builds and utilizes robust, scalable test frameworks
• Champion performance testing strategy and execution across all enterprise applications
• Partner with cross-functional management teams to establish and deliver upon strategies for the Continuous Delivery development model.
• Promote the adoption of Test Driven Development and Behavior Driven Development software processes, promoting high-functioning applications through robust comprehensive test coverage.
• Provide quality assurance strategy for enterprise package solutions. Work closely with the vendor, development services manager, systems manager, and project manager to incorporate sound test methodologies and best practices into the quality assurance environment.
• Provide leadership to validate technical requirements; ensure testability and traceability of new systems; and ensure successful generation and utilization of automation/performance test cases, scripts and plans.
• Collaborate and coordinate with other Information Technology (IT) departments regarding quality assurance deliverables, disciplines on overall test plans, including user acceptance, performance and regression testing, to ensure successful transition and system reliability of developed systems into the enterprise.
• Ensure delivery of documentation of test results and corrective actions, including recommendations to improve quality and reliability of systems.
• Provides strategic direction for quality assurance.
• Collaborate with other department leaders to identify business needs; plan, schedule, and coordinate work; and ensure integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
• Manages or coordinate vendor relationships and contracts for products, services and support.
• Analyze, assesses and recommend improvements in programs and practices to ensure compliance with regulatory and internal controls.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience
• Demonstrated experience in information technology, including leading teams in quality assurance or software engineering
• Experience developing long-term technology strategies, including developing team level plans and budgeting
• Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business
• Experience with the testing needs of eCommerce and ERP solutions
• Advanced knowledge of quality assurance methodologies and software test automation tools
• Experience with structured project and software development life cycles
• Skills in resource management, project prioritization, problem-solving, issue management and negotiation, and mediation.
• Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
• Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest
• Ability to manage customer and vendor relationships.
• Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employ