Sr. Software Development Engineering in Test (SDET)
Posted Date: Sep- 9-2021
Job ID: 21436
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Sr. SDET is responsible for leading the design and the development of automated tests and framework activities, execution of both automated and manual tests, and providing improvements on the processes within the Quality Assurance Department including test execution, test case management, build integration and reporting. Automation covers a wide variety of enterprise applications, including but not limited to: SAP, Warehouse Management (WM), REI.com, Procurement (Procure-IT), Replenishment Systems (ASR, VTSS), and a wide variety of Membership, POS, Retail and related applications, middleware (SOAP, XML, Web Services), ETL (Enter Transform and Load) and databases.
The successful candidate will bring expertise in the design, development, and execution of optimal and holistic test strategies for products, features, and solutions across all application families within the CO-OP. In addition, the candidate will have several years of progressively difficult application testing and automation development experience which demonstrates efficient QA processes, architectural and design ingenuity, attention to framework design, and holistic understanding of how testing can be applied in both Agile and Waterfall methodologies alike.
• Review, identify gap in requirements/acceptance criterion to ensure testability.
• Develop, implement Test Strategy, Plan, and Estimates for test activities for assigned project(s).
• Assess Unit test (Junit) coverage with Dev Team
• Design, develop, maintain, robust test frameworks, libraries, utilities for simple to complex systems
• Design, develop, maintain test stubs, tools to enhance manual test execution
• Design, develop, and maintain data conditioning scripts, service virtualizations, and knowledge base.
• Design, develop, execute, and maintain manual and automated tests based on optimal Test Design principles to achieve test efficiency, and effectiveness for all application stacks, develop test priority matrix.
• Perform code review on new and/or maintained automated test assets
• Develop metric/status reports (test execution, defect, test summary, requirement traceability matrix etc.) based on defined standards.
• Identify, communicate and escalate risks, mitigation and/or contingency plan in timely manner, responsible for final sign off.
• Lead, coordinate all aspects of QA activities including integration, end to end test process.
• Define, manage, implement defect management process including developing priority/severity matrix, reporting, verifying, closing defects, conducting triage.
• Drive continuous integration, recommending approach and technology infrastructure and tools, and maintain CI/CD pipeline to passing status
• Advocate for continuous improvement and opportunities for SDLC life cycle.
• Contribute to investigating new testing technologies, tools to expand and improve test coverage
• Mentor SDETs and SQA analysts on best practices through code, test asset reviews, training, etc.
• Self-directed, as demonstrated by setting effective goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
Bring your passion and expertise
Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or related field.
5-10 years’ experience in OO design patterns and coding best practices – mainly in Java development (Windows, Unix, Linux and MAC).
Experienced in developing programmatic, object-oriented test automation framework within Agile/Scrum, and waterfall environments.
Design, develop and maintain automated test suites (UI and API) through a variety of tools (Selenium, JUnit).
Exposure to Build-Test infrastructure e.g. Jenkins.
Proven expertise in engineering best practices in Unit, functional, non-functional testing.
Experience creating and executing testing strategies for systems.
Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
2-5 years’ experience leading large design efforts, prioritizing and coordinating project teams of 4 or more members.
Experience in testing Order Management System, SAP.
Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search