Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET)
Posted Date: Sep- 9-2021
Job ID: 21447
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by ensuring that all retail and back end systems accurately process retail orders, purchase orders, returns, replenishment, and inventory management across all application families within the CO-OP.
The SDET is responsible for leading the design and the development of automated testing activities, and processes within the Quality Assurance Department including test execution, test case management, build integration and reporting. Automation covers a wide variety of enterprise applications, including but not limited to: SAP, Warehouse Management (WM), REI.com, Procurement (Procure-IT), Replenishment Systems (ASR, VTSS), and a wide variety of Membership, POS, Retail and related applications, middleware (SOAP, XML, Web Services), ETL (Enter Transform and Load) and databases.
The successful candidate will have several years of progressively difficult applications development experience which demonstrates efficient coding practices, architectural and design ingenuity, attention to framework design, and holistic understanding of how testing can be applied in both Agile and Waterfall methodologies alike.
• Understands, able to modify test frameworks and API
• Responsible for the development of source code and execution of automated test cases and QA processes that ensure quality throughout our release schedule
• Executes automation test strategy that promotes best automation approach (API and/or UI), and development of toolset to enhance manual test efforts for all projects.
• Contributes to overall testing strategy including manual and performance testing efforts
• Understands and contributes to processes for continuous integration, Test Management and Reporting for Automated Suites
• Identify risks, opportunities and work items for process and test automation
• Interface with development team to ensure sufficient test coverage upstream in JUnit and other unit test tools in support of TDD best practices
• Develops code, techniques and processes to test middleware, including: ETL, ESB, Web Services, SOAP, and XML
• Self-directed, as demonstrated by setting effective goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or related field
• 2-5 years’ experience in OO design patterns and coding best practices – mainly in Java development (Windows, Unix, Linux and MAC)
• Experienced in developing programmatic, object-oriented test automation framework within Agile/Scrum, and waterfall environments
• Design, develop and maintain automated test suites (UI and API) through a variety of tools (Selenium, JUnit)
• Exposure to Build-Test infrastructure e.g. Jenkins
• Proven expertise in engineering best practices in Unit, functional and non-functional testing
• Experience creating and executing testing strategies for systems.
• Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
• Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company.
• Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
• Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
• Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
• Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
• Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
• Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
• Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
• Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
• Must be organized, have an eye for detail, and be able to put ideas into a tangible form
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search