Associate Product Developer (One Year Term To Start)
Posted Date: Sep-10-2021
Job ID: 21326
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
As part of our product creation team, the Associate Product Developer works collaboratively with their key partners in the development of their projects and categories. As part of the development team, you must have basic knowledge in the total product development process with the desire and skills to continue to learn more about construction, costing, fitting and basic patterning. Alongside the Development Manager, Developers, and Engineers, you will be expected to foster this knowledge throughout the product creation teams and process.
In this role you will also be tasked with proactively participating in the product creation process from conception to production ready. You will be working with various product creation groups (technical services, design, innovation team, overseas factories, etc.) to drive the technical package process and ensure products meet or exceed our quality standards. This role is responsible for supporting the development team on various projects, products, and categories as necessary. It’s getting your hands dirty to learn the overall product development process.
• Understand the product creation calendar and meet timeline objective.
• Ability to work on multiple projects at a time, stay organized, while driving projects throughout the product creation cycle.
• Learn PLM system and manage all assigned projects within the system.
• Partner with Developers to support in sample review and fit sessions; including construction and problem solving with vendor partners to achieve desired results.
• Update and maintain technical packages to assure documentation is current and production ready.
• Support in sample management, including PLM system check in, tracking, and evaluation in preparation for sample review and fit sessions.
• Support pattern engineering in fittings with taking photos, managing reference documents pertaining to each style.
• Partner & collaborate with designers, technical services, testing team & overseas partners to ensure product execution.
• Displays the willingness to problem solve and extend outside of their area to support and help in problem solving.
• Proactively completes their projects on time and ensures their manager is involved as needed.
• Review, document and communicate changes, test results and requirements of samples to our factory resources.
• Assist development team as needed with additional projects.
Bring your passion and expertise
• Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, apparel development or like fields is preferred
• 1 plus year’s experience working or through internship in the product development of apparel, outdoor equipment, gear or footwear
• Knowledge of product development and manufacturing experience
• Current software proficiency in MS Office suite; Outlook, Word, Excel, ect.
• Experience with product specification documentation, technical illustration - Adobe Illustrator
• Experience with CAD and PLM/ PDM systems preferred
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Accurate, detailed and highly organized work methods
• Self-directed with ability to manage individual work load priorities and relate to overall needs of the team
• Ability to work professionally and efficiently with all departments that make up REI
• Ability to anticipate how a decision made can affect our customers, our strategic partners, other departments and the product in general – always looking out for what is best for our end consumer “it’s all about the product”
• Willingness to go above and beyond by diving into the details, improving products and processes and helping out whenever necessary
• A passion for getting everyone outdoors, creating production and living our values
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to job search